General Chat... IS BACK!

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: General Chat... IS BACK!

@RobPN wrote:

@Champnet wrote:

@RobPN wrote:

Deleted - posted in error before complete.

Leading by example, impressive….

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're getting at @Champnet Undecided

Smiley

It's called humour, remember that ?  Just implying you'd had a change of mind about a potentially contentious post.

(Still humour, never got the hang of emojis)

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Err ... I missed the humour, but it was actually deleted for the reason given @Champnet  Wink

No second thought about anything contentious, and if you actually got to see it as JonoH obviously did, you'll see that the same content will be in the full reply.  Wink

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

OK, I'll keep my humour to myself, it's getting a bit outdated............

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@RobPN wrote:

I agree with most of your points above @7up but not all....

Regarding wiping all previous threads, well, that'll be akin to re-writing history like some countries do (I think it's called Historical negationism ).

Forgive me, i could be wrong but i don't recall being an advocate or wiping them. I simply mentioned the possibility of it being reinstated with or without the historical stuff. 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@JonoH wrote:

I'm also not going to police peoples usernames, feel free to call yourself pro-EU anti-EU anti-vax anti-science whatever you want,

@7up wrote:

However the big one that many people have an issue with IS the moderating team. When a troll is brought to their attention, they ignore it, protect it, nurture it and then blame us for the hassle of it all and frankly, it's put me off taking part in the forum quite a lot. Others are just as fed up of being attacked by the mods and have attacked back.

The moderation team have my 100% support and backing. I'm sure they make mistakes, and that is why we have the ability for you to refer to me after, however it's important to remember that just because a noisy minority don't like a person or their positions, if they're being civil and within the rules we will side with them, especially if the other group are all perceived to be pilling on the user.

@7up wrote:

One final thing, recently with your suggestion of closing GC down you did say you'd try to give us all notice so we could make other arrangements. That did not happen.

It's because it was a temporary take down and not ever intended as a permanent one.

Hi Jono..

Only two points i want to address above..

We have a forum rule of no politics. But then you say above that you can choose whatever politically devisive name you want. Do you not realise how that will stir up bad feelings? - This is not a perfect world, it's not a equal society where everyone can put forward their views and everyone nods their head agreeingly.

The reality is that if you have that rule about no politics then you need to stick to it - and people joining with names that show they are motivated by political issues is IMO a breach of that rule - especially when they start swiping at us.

I am trying to give you honest feedback here and have done in my other replies but you seem to be of the new age "everyone should get along and be nice" movement. That's an ideal world and yes, i do wish it could be like that myself however as i keep pointing out, we keep getting these people sign up, then sign up again and again.. and they keep coming back and causing friction. Unless you put a stop to that somehow tension will always be generated.

Glad to hear it's only temporary. I miss GC however i will say that i've been put off posting lately because there has been a lot of hassle.1

Finally i apologise if i have got you guys wrong but as you and BT are so interlinked these days (and they don't have the best history of caring for customers) it's easy to start seeing conspiracies that BT is behind it all. I remember back in the early 00s when they were offering 0808 dialup access.. and then killing peoples internet in order to convince customers that broadband would be more reliable. BBC watchdog exposed that along with an internal memo. I simply don't trust BT and never will but i apologise if you guys at PN have been innocent and not part of their antics.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@JonoH - finally, my reply which I accidentally posted before completion yesterday ...

Thanks for your reply @JonoH , but IMO it's full of holes and contradictions, and some points seem to have been completely missed.

@JonoH wrote:

... I'm also not going to police peoples usernames, feel free to call yourself pro-EU anti-EU anti-vax anti-science whatever you want, ...

Not quite true, I recall peoples usernames being changed in the past because they didn't, shall we say, 'fit-in' ...

... and sadly, because grown up, civilised, reasoned debate wasn't possible on some subject's we've had to stop them being discussed here. ...

Those are precisely the subjects which the various re-incarnated trolls are hell-bent on raising. They may start off all sweetness and light, but without fail in the past they've twisted things round to become political, often offensively categorising other members who oppose them.
As a PlusNet customer for an uninterrupted 19 years, I'm baffled as to how you can defend your support of a so-called newcomer 'non-Plusnet customer' (repeatedly) joining the forum, always choosing a provactive politically orientated username (and usually avatar) which reflects their latest bandwagon agenda, and clearly with absolutely no requirement for technical support or interest in becoming a customer, but solely with the intention of disrupting General Chat, having also stated publicly on numerous occasions that they want to get General Chat closed. Where's the logic in that?

The next step will be to start permanently banning users who aren't able to speak to one another in a civil fashion,

That's very reassuring; so if genuine members are judged to be at fault they'll be permanently banned? What of the trolls? Ah yes, they'll be free to rejoin with a new username.

who round on other users as part of their clique.

So because a number of people are in agreement on something (e.g. recognising and responding to a repeat troll for what it is), you've labelled them as a clique?

@JonoH wrote:

@7up wrote:

You also said you'd removed two users and yet we didn't see any extra annonymous posts anywhere and you couldn't even tell us the usernames - yes, from our POV it looks very suspicious.

It's more than 2, in fact its more than 2 in the last 2 weeks, and I could tell you names, I'm just not sure if I should, or how it's relevant. some will likely be pleased they're gone and think that hounding users out is a victory, it's not. It's what will get GC closed.

Apart from MinnieWoke (and HelloDuck, an unfortunate incident already discussed in another GC thread) it seems there are no 'Anonymised' posts that anyone can remember recently to back that up, and personally I don't recall anyone being hounded in GC recently who has disappeared. Perhaps you're referring to someone who joined but never posted and decided to ask via PM for their account to be deleted, although oddly such a person could never have been attacked.

The moderation team have my 100% support and backing. I'm sure they make mistakes, and that is why we have the ability for you to refer to me after, however it's important to remember that just because a noisy minority don't like a person or their positions, if they're being civil and within the rules we will side with them, ...

Even, it seems, if they have an 'In your face' username (and at times, avatar) proclaiming their political beliefs, which they continue to slyly poke others with. Roll_eyes

... especially if the other group are all perceived to be pilling on the user.

Ah, you mean that if a single troll with very little support is opposed by a majority for what should be obvious reasons, you'll take the side of the troll? That sounds logical and fair - NOT!

@RobPN It would be super easy for us to put it back in the state it was previously. It's actually harder for us to provide you with a blank slate, especially one that lets you keep your post count and likes.

Understood, thanks, point taken.

Also, why does it matter if someone who left decides to return with a new name?

Because they've previously caused trouble, which has taken up all that moderator time which you mentioned elsewhere? Huh

Why start off with cryptic in-crowd pleasing posts? Why attempt to poison others against this person?

I think you've missed the point there; there was no attempt (or need) to poison anybody against that person (the person has already managed that quite successfully in the past), simply pointing out that a returning troll had been spotted, and my reference to 'time-stamping' was to show how early the troll had been recognised for future reference as opposed to how long it would be before the mods recognised it, if ever.

it's precisely what I'm talking about trying to stop. Firstly they may be genuinely new and secondly just report posts that break rules, otherwise you might find that the ban you seek doesn't go where you'd like it.

Ah yes, those bans.

Edit: couple of typos

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@7up wrote:

@RobPN wrote:

Regarding wiping all previous threads, well, that'll be akin to re-writing history like some countries do (I think it's called Historical negationism ).

Forgive me, i could be wrong but i don't recall being an advocate or wiping them. I simply mentioned the possibility of it being reinstated with or without the historical stuff. 

Apologies if I missed the spot @7up , but my reply was intended to agree with the fact I thought you were against wiping the slate clean and starting from scratch, as was being suggested by JonoH as a possibility.  Smiley

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@RobPN 

+1

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Between this and the other General Chat thread it's evident to me that some people really would sign their own death warrant.

Me, Lips_are_sealed

Minivanman
Legend

@Mook 

Well the other one has been locked now.

Three guesses who by.... actually no, just one guess should do it. 😒

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Come on guys, do we have to do this? The thread that was locked was locked correctly, we've taken down the GC board for now, that does not mean spam other boards with off-topic chat.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Minivanman
Legend

Here's an idea @JonoH - bring back General Chat. 😀 

Herman Melville
Mav
Fixes: 516

Moderator's note(s):

Thread locked.

Please click here.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still