cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blacklist of wifi networks that don't allow email sending?

fraserboyd
Dabbler

Blacklist of wifi networks that don't allow email sending?

Hi Has anyone compiled a list of commonly used wifi networks that PlusNet's email server blocks you from sending outgoing mail whilst using? TheCloud wifi, found all over the place in UK, seems to be a total non-starter for sending email, and I'm noticing increasingly that when on some train wifi run by Icomera, the same happens. I am currently on a train in Germany and it seems the same here, too (not sure who the provider is). Does anyone know whether using a VPN while on these coffee shop-type wifi networks gets around the problem? Thanks. Fraser
2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Blacklist of wifi networks that don't allow email sending?

Networks as a whole are rarely blocked.  Individual IP addresses are if they have been abused by users which seems to happen a good deal on mobile networks.  Certainly overseas IP addresses are subjected to more stringent security measures for SMTP server connections, thus where a VPN service has its "exit" point outside of the UK it is more likely to be a hinderance than a help.

Indeed certain toe-rags use VPNs for their disruptive activities in the hope that they cannot be traced ... making the use of VPNs by ordinary folks impractical ... as their "exit" points become black-balled.

As for publishing a list (a) the list is dynamic and (b) it might help the toe-rags circumvent the security measures.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Blacklist of wifi networks that don't allow email sending?

@fraserboyd 

On the few occasions that I use an 'open' WiFi network and I need to do something, e.g. emailing, I connect via a personal VPN to my home router (a DrayTek), thus my 'exit' point is my home connection.