cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to update DNS settings to stop emails being rejected

ClaireS
Dabbler

Need to update DNS settings to stop emails being rejected

Since I left Free-online (a few years ago) I was moved to a "mail only" account, but this meant I couldn't use Free-online's mail servers any more.

I had to move to an external SMTP outgoing mail service to allow me to send emails.

I returned to Plusnet (having been told I'd be able to use email in full again), only to find that they don't offer emails any more.

So stuck with mail only account which can only receive and not send mail, so I'm still with an external SMTP service.

However, my emails are rejected regularly by recipients, because SMTP services tend to be used by spammers, therefore my emails are being rejected.

I've been given some details by my current SMTP service to add to my DNS server, to help verify my emails.  But I can't for the life of me find out how to get to the DNS details for my Free-online emails.

I contacted plusnet support, and they said to come to the forum.  So here I am.

Can anyone help with a link for how to add CNAME and TXT details to my Free-online email "domain".

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Need to update DNS settings to stop emails being rejected

How are you sending emails, in respect of the FROM address?

• From the brand's native domain - @[username].free-online.co.uk
  • From your own hosted domain name - @yourown.hosted-domain.co.uk

You cannot add TXT records to a HOSTED domain name and you cannot in anyway modify anything related to the native domain.  CNAME is not likely to help (no idea what support were thinking of, but (if permitted) a TXT SPF record for a hosted domain might be helpful.

There were some changes made to the free accounts sometime ago, which gave ALL free accounts access to the Plusnet SMTP servers at a time when an implementation of SPF was attempted.  See How to change your outgoing server on a mail clien... - Plusnet Community  Have you tried to access the PlusNet SMTP server (relay.free-online.net) for that legacy brand recently?

The SPF implementation was backed out, but the access to SMTP servers was not withdrawn.  DKIM verification has since been implemented across the brands for the NATIVE domain name.  If you are using the NATIVE domain name in the FROM address, then try accessing the relay.free-online.net SMTP server for your out going mail.

If you are using a HOSTED domain as the from address, you need to consider moving the whole of your email hosting elsewhere, for there are no DNS modification options on the legacy brands which will assist you.  Mythic Beasts is worth a look.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ClaireS
Dabbler

Hi there - thanks for your help.

I'm not using a hosted domain.

The From address is from the brand's native domain - @spiteri.free-online.co.uk.

I have tried the relay.free-online.net server, but it does not work using the same login details I use for my incoming mail.  I've tried both ports (25 and 587) and various combinations of encryption settings (STARTTLS or SSL/TLS or None or auto).

I think it's because access to the outgoing servers was removed when I left Free-online.

I'm not sure where I'd start using a hosted domain.

Sorry to be a pain.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to email

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ClaireS
Dabbler

Thanks - is there any news about how I can add CNAME details to my DNS settings?