cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move email hosting of domain from plusnet but retain hosting of web site at plusnet

JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Move email hosting of domain from plusnet but retain hosting of web site at plusnet

Is it possible to move email hosting of my domain from plusnet, but retain hosting of its web site at plusnet?

(See why I am asking, in this post).

Alternatively, could I simply remove the web site and update/remove the domain's DNS records?  Is there a downside to this?

I want the domain 99.9% for emails.

Thanks

Tags (3)
10 REPLIES 10
JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star

Re: Move email hosting of domain from plusnet but retain hosting of web site at plusnet

Anyone?

😉

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 410

Re: Move email hosting of domain from plusnet but retain hosting of web site at plusnet

@JakTheBiscuit I'll try!

If you move the domain hosting, your Plusnet native webspace will still be accesible via www.<accountname>.plus.com. I'm no expert but I would have thought it should be possible to redirect www.<domain> via the new hosting providers DNS, maybe using a CNAME or ANAME record ? .

I'll have a play with one of my domains (hosted at Mythic for email) to see if I can successfully redirect it back to my Plusnet account...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star

Thanks - I hope your try works out.  (And that it's ok with PN! 🙂)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@JakTheBiscuit  well it half worked!. It redirects to my PN account webspace but then fails to access the website...

I think it needs something more than just the ANAME ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

If all you want to do is go to new domain and arrive at the old domain  then all you need is a redirect line in the head section of the new domain's index file. I.E.

<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="0; URL=http://www.yourname.plus.com">  or

<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="0; URL=https:///www.yourname.plus.com">

JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star

@MisterW  Thanks for the update.  I'll have to do some reading on domain forwarding.  The domain is registered with TSOHOST so perhaps something can be configured there.

JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star

@Champnet  Only one domain involved, of the form X.com where X is not its real name, but thanks anyway.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The domain is registered with TSOHOST so perhaps something can be configured there.

@JakTheBiscuit I don't think so!. TSOHOST is just the registrar that Plusnet use for non-uk domains. AIUI your domain is still hosted by Plusnet and will be using the PN DNS servers. To get any reasonable control of DNS you're going to have to move the hosting and registration.

JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star

It's more the other way around:  Non-uk domains, such as .com, are registered with TSOHOST which points to the DNSs of whichever hosting service hosts it.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@JakTheBiscuit sorry , I thought that was what I said !

TSOHOST is just the registrar that Plusnet use for non-uk domains. AIUI your domain is still hosted by Plusnet and will be using the PN DNS servers.