Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

14 days into new Fibre Extra connection and speed well below guaranteed

norfolkphoto
Hooked

14 days into new Fibre Extra connection and speed well below guaranteed

Hi there

I had the 14 day email from Plusnet today telling me my current line speed is 77Mb and min guaranteed speed is 65.4Mb.

Speed tests have been all over the place from as low as 18Mb to as high as 73Mb over the initial 14 days but I expected it to settle down now.

Speed test this morning using the BT checker was 21.89Mb.

Could someone from Plusnet take a look please?

Thanks in advance, Steven

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: 14 days into new Fibre Extra connection and speed well below guaranteed

@norfolkphoto 

How are you measuring speed? You need to be connected to your hub using an Ethernet cable, not wireless. Also nothing else should be using the Internet at the time.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

norfolkphoto
Hooked

Thanks for the reply, I have worked in technology for over 30 years and I know how to measure broadband speed.

Could someone from Plusnet take a look please?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

That may as well be, but it'd be nice to confirm and not be so sharp.
This is a community place and others will try and help you.
Posting your router stats etc. would also be so helpful, because with your level of experience surely you know that the more information the better.
Otherwise just call up.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@norfolkphoto  I suppose you know the 10 day or 14 day training period is completely false, it doesn't exist. FTTC lines will operate at the best possible speed within a day or 2 of initial connection, possibly a little longer if the SNRM is reduced in stages when G.INP is active.

Rather than just expecting Plusnet to take a look how about you taking a look at your router connection stats and give forum members some information that could help diagnose the problem.

norfolkphoto
Hooked

Not sharp at all, two statements of fact.

Posting stats will be of no benefit to anyone other than Plusnet staff who have my contact details should they need them.

I see that they monitor these forums which is much more appealing to me than sitting and listening to on-hold music played at deafening volumes for the next hour.

There is clearly an issue with the connection that needs intervention from Plusnet themselves.

If you are going to make passive-aggressive statements about my "level of experience" then it would help to make them in correct English as I am afraid that your sentence makes no sense.

I say again, please could someone from Plusnet take a look?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@norfolkphoto With your attitude you are probably wasting your time trying to get help on this forum. It is not an officially recognised route to Plusnet support.

norfolkphoto
Hooked

I think you are right, I will be making a complaint to Plusnet about the passive-aggressive bullying I have received from both people who have replied to my posts on a forum which carries their branding.

I will call them to get the technical assistance that I require.

Steven.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @norfolkphoto, I'm really sorry about the slow speeds and I'm sure we can help with that, could you send me a private message with your username please?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
norfolkphoto
Hooked

Many thanks for picking this up Adam, much appreciated - PM sent.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@norfolkphoto wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I have worked in technology for over 30 years and I know how to measure broadband speed.

In which case one might conclude that you also know that a fault on a telephone line (often detectable by listening to the line using a telephone handset) can play havoc with broadband performance in the exact manner you describe.  Did you do a quiet line test?

Sharing your stats (as politely requested) would most likely had lead to the same conclusion.  Knowledge of that might have lead to community members recommending that you used the automated phone fault service, which might have resulted in the issue being resolved with zero contact with Plusnet support.  It would certainly have been a helpful step forwards.  In the event that Plusnet's initial tests do not identify an issue, you'd have a baseline for the experience in the community to work from.

Passive-aggression starts when people respond in the manner which you did, it gets people's backs up.  I have spent over 35 years in technology and much of the last 10 years still closely connected to it ... and I still learn something new each week.  There are a good number of people with similar backgrounds here who give a lot of their time and experience to helping people like you asking for assistance.  In 9 short posts, you managed to be somewhat in polite to two of them: You do not make your candle burn any brighter by snuffing out the light of others.

Hope you have a great weekend ... and that your issue is fixed sooner rather than later.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.