cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every speedtest i have done whilst with Plusnet has never been at or above the minimum speed.

FIXED
Laponder

Every speedtest i have done whilst with Plusnet has never been at or above the minimum speed.

I have the 145 fibre package with 80Mb minimum. Every speedtest i've done has sat usually around the 30Mb/s mark. Downloads on steam or the like usually sit around 6-8MB/s.

I've been tempted to upgrade but i refuse to do it when i'm not even getting the minimum now.

As for setup, i am wired using Cat6 cable, through powerline adapters with a speed of 1Gb/s. I use an Archer C3200 instead of the proprietary router as i get even worse speeds with that one. 

No fault has been found, any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 410

Re: Every speedtest i have done whilst with Plusnet has never been at or above the minimum speed.

Fix

through powerline adapters with a speed of 1Gb/s

@Laponder  that I very much doubt! They MIGHT be marked AV1000 but I'm afraid that's pure fiction!

I have a similar pair I use occasionally , the max I've ever achieved is about 150Mb and it can go as low as 25Mb depending on the electrical circuits.

First thing you need to do is a proper fully wired connection test, if that's still low then it's worth looking further...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Laponder

Re: Every speedtest i have done whilst with Plusnet has never been at or above the minimum speed.

I have ordered a new cable for tomorrow and try it. I seem to recall that i had it fully wired at one point and it had the same problem, but maybe i'm not remembering correctly. I shall update tomorrow!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Broadband an Full Fibre

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

I used powerline adaptors successfully before going over to Full Fibre, but for various reasons they don't work anywhere near well enough now. I currently have an ethernet cable going from the Plusnet hub to a good quality older router and pick up the wireless connection from that, which is usually pretty close to the maximum 145MB speed.

Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

@Laponder let us know when you know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Laponder

Just did the test, seems like the powerline was the issue.

I suspect then, that there was a different issue previously which slowed the speed when i did this before which has since been resolved. Also feels kinda bad that a powerline adapter claims to manage up to 1G/s and - if this is anything to go by - clearly can't.

Thanks for the help though people, an extra 100mb/s or so feels better.Test i did just nowTest i did just nowTest throuhg powerline adapter to compare withTest throuhg powerline adapter to compare with