cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed problems solved

dragonball123

Fibre speed problems solved

Had loads of problems getting anywhere near 500 let alone the 900mbs I was supposed to be getting. Plusnet were superb and sent out a BT engineer to investigate. My playstation was connecting at around 535mbs all the time, but the laptop was only running about 130mbs max.
When the engineer arrived he checked a few things and ran a speed test on his laptop and he was getting around 750mbs. We ran the speed test again on my laptop and got the same, around 130mbs. He suggested checking a few things on the network adapter properties like power saving. I did this and found power saving was in but after turning this off, it made no difference. Checked the internet and found that speed and duplex was set to auto. Changed this to 1 Gigabit and now the speed is 838mbs. Well happy. Thanks plusnet for a really quick connection! Much better service than sky. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem. To find the settings for your ethernet adapter, go to advanced after selecting properties
3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Fibre speed problems solved

This is really useful - I will add it to my generic FTTP Speed issues macro.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@Townman wrote:

I will add it to my generic FTTP Speed issues macro.

@Townman   Is it possible for the *content* of the FTTP Speed Issues macro, to be made visible to all customers (?)

... as in, via a "sticky" post (with FTTP Speed Issues as its subject) on the 'broadband' forum

... there's currently a sticky 'fibre - speed faults' post on that forum, but that dates from 2015.

I'm guessing that the *only* reason the macros (there being others, also, on all sorts of technical stuff) are not generally-visible, is because the content can't be edited (by superusers) as the knowledge-base is updated.

Given there's a 20-minute edit-window on the public forums iirc.

I know this is the sort of conversation that usually happens behind the scenes, but I thought I should ask it here given you'd mentioned one of the macros 😕

Personal view is that all the macros should be available on stickies, because if customers have a problem with something specific, like FTTC or FTTP or whatever, then the sticky posts on the relevant forums would ideally be the first place they'd look.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

@Penny wrote:

Personal view is that all the macros should be available on stickies, because if customers have a problem with something specific, like FTTC or FTTP or whatever, then the sticky posts on the relevant forums would ideally be the first place they'd look.

From my reading of many peoples initial posts, @Penny , they clearly don't read stickies.😀

John