cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow(ish) Speeds

CellHG

Slow(ish) Speeds

Hey, 

I've tried phoning plusnet a couple times, always on hold for an hour but never seem to get through to anyone. I signed up for the 900mb full fiber package and I believe I was guaranteen 500mb as a minimum ( not 100% sure ) but I never seem to get more than 80mbs. 

Is there anything on my end I can do to try and resolve it since I can't seem to get through to plusnet. 

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: Slow(ish) Speeds

@CellHG Welcome to the forums. Have  actually been connected to Full Fibre - i.e.  have you had an ONT installed, and if so, did the installer check your speed before leaving  - they are supposed to.

How are you testing?

John
CellHG

I believe I've had everything installed that needs to be ( I've been on full fiber for around 6 months now ). I started on the 500mb package and got around 90mb, so figured what the heck and went for the 900 but still not getting above 90mb.

When the engineer installed it, he did a speed test ( on the 500mb one ) and I think I got 250-300 but it slowly went down over the first month and by month 2 it was on 80-90 and never goes above it.

I've used the speedtest website, google and another one that I can't recall the name of to test the speed.

jab1
Legend

OK, you are on Full  Fibre - sorry for asking, but you'd be amazed how many  people think they are on it, when in fact they are still on FTTC. 😀

This is definitely not right, but you do need to get in touch with Plusnet to sort it - and hope you get an agent that understands what you are saying. Other, more knowledgable Community members may offer further suggestions.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

@CellHG ok, the first question ( @jab1 asked it earlier ) is how are you testing ? is it wired or wireless ?

To get an accurate result you need to do the tests using a wired (ethernet) connection to your router.

Another basic check to make , is the ethernet cable between the router and ONT ? is it the one supplied by Plusnet with the router ? if not, does it have 8 cores ? 

I ask the above because 4 core cat5 cables are ONLY capable of 100Mb.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@CellHG 

For the Hub Two it is possible to check the correct cable is being used between the ONT and Hub's WAN port by checking the Hubs 'Status' screen.

Click on http://192.168.1.254/basic_-_status.htm >WAN link speed; Should read 1000 Mbps

HTH

CellHG

Sorry for the loate reply. 

I went out and bought a cat 8 cable and now my speeds are well over 800, thank you Smiley

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Cat8! 🤣 That's designed to run up to 40Gbps, but it's your money! You only need good old Cat5e which is certified to run at 1000Mbps (1Gbps) up to 100 metres.

The important point as noted above is that it has all 8 wires connected; many older cables, especially those supplied with routers, only had 4 cores - good for 100mbps only. 

jab1
Legend

Slight over-kill, @CellHG  - cat 6 would have been much cheaper, and just as good. Or even 5e, as above by @HPsauce .

John