Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP Link Router Compatibility Question for Full Fibre

neilbradley
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

TP Link Router Compatibility Question for Full Fibre

Apologies if this is a dumb question.  I'm currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra 66GB speed and previously had issues with the Hub Two router so replaced it with a cheap and cheerful TP-Link TD-W9970 300mbps Wireless N Usb Vdsl2 Modem Router.  This works fine and have had no issues with it. 

I'm considering upgrading to Full Fibre FTTP (not mega fast) and I'm wondering if I could use this router or would I have to use the Hub Two?   The blurb for the TP Link router says the following:

"Interchangeable LAN/WAN Port -Compatible with Fiber/Cable service
The TD-W9970 supports VDSL/ADSL or Ethernet WAN connections (EWAN) that allow users to have the flexibility of different Internet connections. Featuring an interchangeable LAN/WAN port, it is compatible with Fiber/Cable service. "

So does this mean I could use this for FTTP?

4 REPLIES 4
zpeterk
Grafter

Re: TP Link Router Compatibility Question for Full Fibre

It only has 10/100 ports so it won’t be any good

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@neilbradley 

I expect the TD-W9970 could be used but it would not be recommended, unless you subscribe for Full Fibre 74 you will not benefit from the increased speed as you network would be limited to 100 Mbps of the LAN ports

So a Hub Two would be recommended, you can reconfigure the wireless to match your current name and password to save device reconfigurations

HTH

Edit: The Hub Two has 5GHz wireless, three 1000 Mbps LAN ports.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

and previously had issues with the Hub Two router

@neilbradley could you perhaps explain what your issues were with the Hub2 ? Then people on here may be able to assist.

The Hub 2 should outperform the 9970 easily.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@neilbradley 

To start with, your TP-Link TD-W9970 will work but as others have said, the 10/100 ports (among other factors) will limit throughput.

You will also lose one wired LAN port as LAN 4 becomes the WAN.

Personally, I might start with your TP-Link TD-W9970 as nothing else (WiFi name & password etc.) would need to change at that point and consider your requirements for a new router. 

I would focus on WiFi capabilities in your next router choice as that tends to be the limiting factor with fibre broadband.

I am the satisfied customer....