Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing to Broadband only and no phone

FIXED
QuantumGuy
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Changing to Broadband only and no phone

In the "olden days" you have to have a landline to get broadband. 

I have FTTC.

I see Plusnet are offering a broadband only deal so I could ave a few quid a month and dump mine.

As I still have copper to my house rather than full fibre what has changed to all me to ditch my landline?Huh

52 REPLIES 52
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Changing to Broadband only and no phone

Fix

@QuantumGuy 

At your property nothing changes.

Upstream instead of the copper being connected to the exchange with a link to the fibre cabinet near your property, it is disconnected from the exchange, so effectively goes no further than the local fibre cabinet. From there it is all fibre.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

QuantumGuy
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Sorry - a supplementary question if I may. 

From when I tick the box and change to a broadband only connection how long approximately till my landline dies? 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@QuantumGuy 

The PTSN is being withdrawn by the end of 2025. To allow those properties who don't have FTTP available OpenReach have introduced a new wholesale product called SOGEA which allows FTTC to continue by using the copper from the FTTC cabinet to your property. There's a similar product for those still on ADSL.

As mentioned, it is the equipment at the Exchange which will be decommisioned and perhaps some of the heavy duty copper wire removed for recycling.

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@QuantumGuy If you change to a Broadband only service (SOGEA) your landline phone (PSTN) will cease more or less immediately. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

The landline would actually (normally) stop working on the day the product change to the broadband only package completes. While in theory this could be almost immediately if moving from FTTC to SoGEA, it normally takes a few days. After the order is placed though, we should confirm when the change will take place. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
machare
Rising Star

When I recently renewed my Plusnet 24 month contract it was actually £1 more expensive to just have broadband rather than broadband with phone. I kept the phone although all my calls are made and received using Sipgate VOIP.

bgiles
Rising Star

I fail to understand this. In practice you're removing the PSTN support element of your line rental by removing home phone, the bit they don't want to support in 2025, so line rental should come down by moving to SoGEA, not go up.

Plusnet SoGEA
DrayTek Vigor2762 VoIP Router
JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

We're paying £29.17 for broadband and a PSTN phone line rental.  Just checked and if we switch to SOGEA the price would drop to £24.99.

Looks to me as if broadband over the copper pair to a cabinet is indeed a bit cheaper than broadband plus a phone line.

Obviously these numbers are most likely distorted by the "haggle your own price" nonsense that seems to set what anyone actually pays, but on the face of it we would save around £4/month by losing our landline.

bgiles
Rising Star

At what point before a customers contract is due to end, are they seeing SoGEA being offered in the 'Offers and Upgrades' section of the portal?

My contract ends April 2024, but all I can see is 'Keep existing product' or the 5 FTTP upgrade options.

The £24.99 that is being offered to @JSHarris is very enticing.

Plusnet SoGEA
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 410

@bgiles but all I can see is 'Keep existing product' or the 5 FTTP upgrade options.

It may be that your exchange is 'Fibre priority' , in which case new copper based products e.g SoGEA can't be ordered

Use the BT Wholesale checker here https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome put in your postcode and select your address. Look in the 'Exchange restrictions' section

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bgiles
Rising Star

@MisterW 

Thanks for the info, however it shows it is NOT a 'FTTP Priority Exchange', as per the attached, hence puzzling.

Plusnet SoGEA
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 410

@bgiles In that case I can only suggest that its due to how far from contract end you are. Changing to SoGEA is not really an 'upgrade' whereas FF is probably considered as one. They probably wont offer SoGEA as an online option until you are closer to contract end. However you MAY be able to change by calling Customer options

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

@bgiles ,  My contract ends in May 2024.  I got the SOGEA price by just using the checker with my postcode, I didn't bother to log in to my account.  My reason for not checking by using my Plusnet account was because of the daft "call us and haggle your own price" faff, where prices shown via your account page may well be higher than those shown if you just check using your postcode.  Ringing up usually means you get offered a better price, at least as good as the new customer price you get by not logging on.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@bgiles   the table you posted is incomplete - can you post the rest of it - the bit to the right of what you have posted should show if VDSL and SoGea is still available to order.