cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Network....

Carnegie

No Network....

Please.... please can someone help?   I've no network so cannot phone anyone!   Or text for that matter.   I'm about to transfer to EE, have I been cut off,?!?

3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: No Network....

There is a different possibility - are you by chance in an area with no 2G coverage?  See We’re Switching Off Our 3G Network (ee.co.uk)

EE has started to switch off its 3G network.  Plusnet mobile does not do voice over 4G, so is reliant on 2G in areas where 3G has been discontinued.  See EE's coverage map here for Plusnet mobile - https://www.plus.net/mobile/coverage-checker

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As @Townman says, EE are switching off their 3G transmitters.  In my case EE notified me that I MUST upgrade my SIM and phone to 4G otherwise I will become disconnected - however EE don't have ANY 4G or 5G coverage within half a mile of my home - so EE switched off 3G and I was forced to move to the O2 network as they are the only provider that has 2G voice and data in my location.

@Carnegie  before you change networks, first check which network (EE, Three, O2, Vodafone) has the best INDOOR voice and data coverage at your home and where you typically use your mobile. 

Visit the Ofcom Mobile Availability Checker,

put in your postcode and select your address.

then select "View map of available services"

above the map, select "Indoor" and "Voice"

then toggle through the four networks (EE, Three, O2, Vodafone)

and visually check the map for which network has the best coverage for you

now select "Indoor" and "Data", and again check the coverage

hopefully it will become obvious which network gives you the best "Voice" AND "Data" coverage.

Once you know which is the best network for you, then search for the best deals for the mobile providers that use that network (e.g. GiffGaff uses O2 network).

Here is a list of networks used by UK mobile providers - List of mobile virtual network operators in the United Kingdom 

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have never found those "checkers" to be reliable or accurate.

For my postcode all networks have green ticks for both indoors and outdoors. Non of the networks have a reliable signal indoors, I have to rely on wifi calling.

Even for a diffent postcode, 5 miles away, in the nearest town, they are all apparently "excellent", wrong. Inside a house at that postcode only wifi calling works - all networks, I've tried them.