cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus.Net is Not Disability Friendly

willscott73
Hooked

Plus.Net is Not Disability Friendly

I'm Autistic. I have issues with communication, and I hate speaking with people on the phone. It causes me a great deal of anxiety.

The Internet has been a great leveller for people such as myself, allowing us to interact with others in ways that we couldn't before the advent of messaging and emails.

So it's rather ironic that the company that has facilitated the levelling of the playing field for me INSISTS on me having to speak to them on the phone, rather than via writing, to terminate my contract.

I contacted them yesterday via Twitter, explaining how my disability makes it difficult to speak to people, and was told that I have to make a call, but to make things easier they could call me!!

Why do they allow us to take out new contracts, and renew contracts, without having to speak with anyone, yet to terminate the only way you can do so is to make a call? How do they deal with customers who are mute/deaf?

I've been with Plus.net since 2001. I've never had cause to complain. I've had 23 years of trouble free service. The only reason that I'm leaving is because they will not have FTTP to my address until the end of 2026. CityFibre have been here for 12 months now. It's sad that the first time I have issues with them is when I try to leave them.

I think that whoever comes up with policy at Plus.Net needs to take a look at the Equality Act 2010, and familiarise themselves with EDI.

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

Re: Plus.Net is Not Disability Friendly

@willscott73 If you wish to terminate your contract, rather than just move to another ISP, you may do so in writing to:

Plusnet PLC

The Balance

2 Pinfold Street

Sheffield

S1 2GU

Send this by Recorded Delivery.

If however, you merely wish to move to another ISP, just start the sign-up process with them, and allow them to handle the transfer, in line with the industry standard 'Gaining Provider Led' procedure.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 410

Why do they allow us to take out new contracts, and renew contracts, without having to speak with anyone, yet to terminate the only way you can do so is to make a call? 

TBH very few companies want to allow a customer to be able to cancel online, they want their 'retentions' dept to have a chance to change the customers mind.

For example, I recently needed to cancel a hosting account with Ionos and whilst some of the procedure was online, I eventually was forced to call to 'confirm' the cancellation, at which point retentions initially offered to halve the cost!!. Then they noticed I had already transferred the hosted domain and gave up...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 81

@jab1 

The only reason that I'm leaving is because they will not have FTTP to my address until the end of 2026. CityFibre have been here for 12 months now. It's sad that the first time I have issues with them is when I try to leave them.

I thought 'City Fibre' is an alternative to Openreach network so a cancelling phone call or letter will be required.

jab1
Legend

@Dan_the_Van In that case, yes, @willscott73 will have to send the letter, as I indicated in my first reply. I failed to notice the CF reference.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@willscott73 

If it helps there's a pro forma cancellation form: http://www.plus.net/support/pdf/plusnet_cancellation_form.pdf

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@Baldrick1 wrote:

If it helps there's a pro forma cancellation form: http://www.plus.net/support/pdf/plusnet_cancellation_form.pdf

Why does it take a fora member to highlight this option?

Plusnet twitter staff should be able to point a customer to this!

jab1
Legend

They should, @corringham , but I doubt some of them even know it is available -  don't use the Twitbook links, but did investigate them once, and some of the replies on there made me want to cringe.

John
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

One of the reasons I'd never recommend Plusnet to anyone these days is the fact that many "help-line" staff are unhelpful often to the extent of being wrong.

I know Plusnet want to keep their costs low, but using he cheapest untrained staff is a false economy - it just drives customers away and leaves a lasting bad reputation behind.

willscott73
Hooked

Yep it is, so just transferring ISP isn't going to terminate the contract automagically.

jab1
Legend

@willscott73 So follow the guidance you have been given.

John
willscott73
Hooked

This is my gripe exactly. There is an assumption that talking on the phone is easy for everyone. Even those without a neurological condition that has communication issues at the centre of it can have difficulties with communication. Companies go on about their touchy-feely credentials, yet overlook the basic fact that there are many, through disability or otherwise, who are incapable of speaking to a human being in real-time.

Fortunately, there are companies out there that do "get" it, and they are the ones that I tend to go with. For example, my new ISP has WhatsApp support.