cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Termination as a PlusNet customer and loss of email service after Digital Voice landline installed

hake
Hooked

Termination as a PlusNet customer and loss of email service after Digital Voice landline installed

I am told by PlusNet staff that I will not be able to remain a PlusNet customer after my landline PlusNet Home Phone is replaced by Digital Voice.  This would effectively finish my 21+ years as a customer and also end my email service, so making my email address unreachable.

It was generally understood that PlusNet would give a reasonable period of notice of termination of email for a customer to make alternative arrangements.  During this time, the PlusNet email service can be used as part of my notification of my change of email address.  This Digital Voice development potentially destroys that prospect and leaves me with the possibility of having to pick up the myriad pieces of 21+ years of email communications.

Email is a vital service and a life essential.  More than two decades ago when I joined PlusNet, the email service was the main reason why I chose PlusNet.  Out of a million PlusNet customers, there must be many thousands of geriatrics like me who will be greatly disadvantaged by the loss of PlusNet email.  This is a serious matter.  It would be difficult in the extreme for me to cope with it.

The imposition of the condition for termination of my being a PlusNet customer for having my landline phone service replaced by Digital Voice is unreasonable, particularly as there seems to be no period of notice given for that termination.  This thoughtlessness will create serious difficulties for many PlusNet customers, especially the elderly.

For me, PlusNet is not about entertainment.  It is a life sustaining service and vital to the well-being of its customers, especially us wrinkly ones.  I have to question if any customers can continue to rely on its services.

7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Termination as a PlusNet customer and loss of email service after Digital Voice landline install

You have other potential strategies...

You do not need to move off your current product right now - if at the end of your contract you can pay the out of contract price or renew what EXACTLY you have got at the moment and deal with changes later

You do not need to move to BT to keep voice if moving to FTTP - there is noting stopping you keeping your Plusnet account (and email) whilst getting a voice service from a third party, such as A&A.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: Termination as a PlusNet customer and loss of email service after Digital Voice landline install

@hake 

You can continue as you are until the Phone service is officially withdrawn - this hasn't happened yet. I would expect you to be given notice of the closure. If you need to renew your contract on your current service with phone you can do so by phoning PN Support.

You are going to be losing your copper landline service by end of 2005 (officially!!!). You have two options.

Move to a new ISP who does both internet & VOIP phone but losing your email in the process.

Or you could change your PN service to a SOGEA line (internet without phone) and port your current number to an independant VOIP provider. This would probably entail a few down days for the phone but you keep PN email.

There are many VOIP providers out there but A&A get good reviews on this Forum.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Brian

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@hake 

Thank you for the kind words in your PM.

I would recommend calls COTS to discuss your options - contract renewal on EXACTLY the same service as you have now or a move to SOGEA or FTTP, leaving you to sort a transfer of the telephone number to VoIP if retention of that number is deemed essential.

Having a dialogue with COTS is better than running with following the on-line options ... and there might be other deals available.

Contact Customer Options Team (aka COTS)

COTs is the place to go to if you want to find out anything to do with your contract in respect of leaving, renewing or simply enquiring about early termination charges (ETCs). They have their own number and tend to answer quicker than the general customer service number.

Direct dial numbers

• 0800 013 2632 or 0800 079 1133(from within the UK)
  • +44 330 123 9197 (from abroad)
  • Available...
    • 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
    • 9am - 7pm Saturday
    • 9am - 6pm Sunday

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@hake 

Further to your PM there are a couple of things to consider with regards to the move to VOIP.

VOIP doesn't work during power cuts so you may need to have backup power for the router, any digital phone and the ONT (if FTTP gets installed). If FTTP is available you should seriously consider moving to in - it's better in power cuts. With an extended power outage your local FTTC cabinet will probably lose power when it's battery runs out whereas FTTP goes back to an Exchange which will almost certainly have a backup generator.

You need to check any care or house alarms that may be in use to see if they work on VOIP. Upgrading equipment may be required.

You can make the move anytime you want once you're ready by contacting PN and asking for a SOGEA line (would require new contract). This puts the timescale under your control. With A&A you can set the account up in advance and with a temporary number to enable you to check the phones work with VOIP. Then port the current number asap after the line gets transferred to SOGEA (or FTTP).

Finally, as an aside. There was talk a couple of years back of PN closing down email. Nothing came of it but it would probably be worthwhile to see if you can backup all emails, addresses etc - just in case PN ever do the nasty.

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from eMail to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
hake
Hooked

Thanks to all who have given me their thoughts and time to provide me with better understanding of a tricky problem.

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@hake 

While it was a bit tricky to coordinate I've had a fibre upgrade from Plusnet and kept my phone number (with a different VoIP provider) and retained the Plusnet email address.

I did this by signing up to Plusnet "full fibre" and getting a migration date. Once I had the migration date I signed up for a VoIP service (with a different provider not Plusnet) and phone number migration (porting) for the day after the Plusnet fibre install was booked.

This requires a competent VoIP provider (from others on this forum Andrews & Arnold are known to be good at this - don't just choose any provider) but actually the process worked well.

I didn't go for a service like this, but if the supplier will provide preconfigured VoIP equipment there is some merit in doing this to keep things simple.

I am the satisfied customer....