cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP Install problem

ijb59

FTTP Install problem

I was due to have FTTP installed yesterday. When the Openreach engineer arrived he said he couldn't fully complete the installation because the nearest telephone pole had no fibre connection and the pole was condemned. He told me that they had been trying to get the pole replaced for the last two years and it was holding up installation for the rest of the road too. 

I was wondering if anyone knew how long this would likely take?

Also, my contract runs out on the 23rd of this month and after that, my monthly price would rise to £58pm. As I've renewed my contract well before before that date, but Plusnet is currently unable to fulfil this, and to be honest, I can't see Openreach replacing the telephone pole before that date, I'm a bit worried that Plusnet will try and charge me £58pm from the 23rd!

7 REPLIES 7
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: FTTP Install problem

@ijb59 

I would guess OR can't get permission to access the land to replace the pole if it's taking so long. If this is the case then they may never get it done!!!

I would think that PN will continue to supply you with your current service at contract prices but would suggest phoning the PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to confirm. They might even be able to update you on the pole situation.

Brian

ijb59

Thank you for your reply. I can't see any problem with access. The telegraph pole is on the path in the street, just the same as the others. I will contact Plusnet customer services re the contract price.

Ian

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Your best option might be to cancel FTTP and get your existing contract renewed - that should keep you exactly where you are, including keeping the existing telephone service.

When BTOR fix the issues, it should be possible to get Plusnet to change your product for FTTP without ETCs on the FTTC service - again discuss with COTS.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@ijb59 

PN Support may be able to give a reason for the pole not being replaced. If not, ask them to ask OR for an explanation.

You could also complain to OR. I believe if you dig through the OR website there is a contact form you could use. May not be the reason it exists but there's no harm in trying. Complain about the unsafe pole not being replaced for about 2 years which is stopping you from getting FTTP. Count the number of lines on the pole and state it's also affecting x others.

Brian

ijb59

I've already completed the form on the Openreach site. They closed the question immediately saying I had an order in process. There are ten lines coming from that pole. The OR engineer told me that it was stopping any more installations further up the street. As far as I can see Plusnet are on the case. On the online order delay form its now saying they are expecting an update from OR by the 10th. I'll ring Plusnet customer support to discuss the contract date etc on Monday.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Having lived in a place where the replacement of a local(ish) gas distribution pipeline was required I'd anticipate something in the order of at least five years. That's how long the negotiations between some landowners took for a gas pipeline.

Obviously this isn't a direct comparison, but could be indicative of timelines. Personally, I wouldn't recommend holding your breath.

Do you know if there's a (legal) wayleave provision for BT with any and all relevant landowners?

ijb59

It's a Telegraph Pole that needs replacing, so above ground. None of them in the street are located on an privately owned ground. They are all on the footpaths, so I don't think there is a problem there. I've spoken with PN this morning and OR are doing a survey of eork needed and PN are hoping for an update by the 10th, so it sounds as if its making some progress