cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only permitting specific devices to connect to WiFi

TimIsTired

Only permitting specific devices to connect to WiFi

Hello.
I do hope someone can assist please, because I can’t find the answer after endless searching in FAQs and forums.
I would like to only permit six devices to use our home “Hub Two”-based WiFi network. Three laptops and three mobiles. I’d like to block all other devices from accessing the WiFi - even if they have been given the WiFi password by somebody. I can obtain IP addresses for all six devices.

Is that possible to lock down like this? And if so, where in the admin settings of a Hub Two is it? It seems obvious that there should be a limit like this to stop new devices being added without the admin’s knowledge - but all I get told is “change the password” —- but which doesn’t stop an extra device being added if the password has been passed on.

Cheers In anticipation

T
5 REPLIES 5
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Only permitting specific devices to connect to WiFi

I don’t use the Hub 2 but is there a setting, probably advanced,  to allow / deny  devices by MAC address ?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

The Hub Two does not have the ability to deny devices by MAC address, for your situation I would suggest buying a wireless access point or router that supports your requirement.

You would need a device that has whitelisting as it is possible to 'user define MAC addresses' on any device which would bypass any blacklist setting

HTH

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Batfrog
Rising Star

@ TimIsTired    As @Dan_the_Van states the MAC address can easily be ‘user defined’ to overcome blacklisting.

Perhaps a simple zero cost option would be to change your SSID to something similar to others around you e.g. BTHubA9B0 or similar and then hide it. Change the password to something long and obscure. Enter these details into your six devices and tell NO-ONE. - The best place to hide a tree is in the forest !!

So, anyone trying connect to your network would need to both the name of the network and the password making it all but impossible to connect.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@Batfrog 

Good plan except the Hub two does not seem to provide the option to "Hide SSID "