Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN Hub 2 frequently defaulting to 2.4 GHz

FIXED
Jwg
Fixes: 1

PN Hub 2 frequently defaulting to 2.4 GHz

Hi,

I've recently signed up to Plusnet for 300 mbps plan and was supplied with a Hub 2 which has a single SSID i.e. no dedicated SSIDs for either 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz .

I've noticed quite frequently that 2.4 GHz WiFi is defaulted to on my HP laptop during start or mostly after awakening from the sleep mode, which is supremely annoying as I have to switch WiFi off/on/restart etc to reconnect 5 GHz again and leaves a real feeling of being somewhat cheated of the max plan speeds.

I have set the "preferred band" in the adapter setting to 5 GHz and the Router devices schematic show that it is identified as 5 GHz device and the distance between my laptop and router is just 3-4 metres away in the hall.

My Question is: What else can be set/done to solve this issue?  Plusnet support stated that they have no solution.

Thx jwg

5 REPLIES 5
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: PN Hub 2 frequently defaulting to 2.4 GHz

@Jwg 

Do you have other devices which connect via the 2.4 band? If not you could simply disable 2.4 in the wirelss settings.

Brian

Jwg

Hi,

Yes,

I have quite a few devices that operate on 2.4 only, which just makes it more problematic.

What makes it maddening is that I'm just an arm's throw from the Hub location and the signal strength is naturally excellent.

If the Hub 2 had individual SSIDs; it would be a straightforward fix. On Hub 1 it was a feature. 

Thx Jwg

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@Jwg 

Only other things I can suggest are

Switch off 2.4 for a short period and connect / wake up your laptop (two or three times) and see if it goes straight to 5.

Check your laptop settings to see if you can switch off 2.4.

Buy your own router which can split bands - PN are happy for customers to use their own equipment and provide the settings requied in the Help pages.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Jwg 

See https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Separate-Bands-with-a-Smarthub-2-or-Pl...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Jwg

Fix

Thx Brian.

I will go for your suggestion of buying my own dedicated router.

Cheers,

Jwg