cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi extender help

FIXED
SarahB7183

Wi-Fi extender help

I have a hub 2 and a wired Ethernet connection going to our new garden room. It doesn’t look like Plusnet have boosters so I’m looking for recommendations on what router / access point I need to buy (I’m not entirely sure what the difference is or which one I need). It will be used for TV streaming and general Wi-Fi connectivity in the garden. Any help gratefully received.

8 REPLIES 8
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: Wi-Fi extender help

@SarahB7183 

If you have an ethernet connection to plug into you need a Wireless Access Point (WAP).

I have no experience of these but I'm sure others will chip in.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Fix

@SarahB7183 assuming that you want both wired and wireless access in the garden room, then I'd suggest getting a router that can be set to 'Access point mode'.

I've no direct experience of them but the Mercusys routers seem very good value at the moment and are part of the TP Link brand , who've always produced reasonable kit..

For instance the MR50G here https://www.amazon.co.uk/MERCUSYS-Wireless-MU-MIMO-Supports-Parental/dp/B08C5MLZW7 would probably be suitable and does have an access point mode option ( see page 12 of the manual here https://static.mercusys.com/manual/1910080091_MR50G_UG_REV1.0.120230303081901.pdf )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I have a couple of TP-Link WAPs (Wireless Access Points) connected to my router via ethernet.  I have always been happy with TP-Link and this is a great little discrete unit TP-Link AC1200 Wireless  Gigabit Wall-Plate Access Point  

This has a couple of ethernet ports that can be used for devices nearby, but it is POE (Powered over Ethernet.)  As said elsewhere there are also routers than can be used in Access Point mode and would have a standard power adapter.

SarahB7183

Thanks for your help. I have seen TP link a lot on my research. I think this would suffice for what we need but I understand that the Plusnet router does not support power over Ethernet - is that correct? 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

But I understand that the Plusnet router does not support power over Ethernet - is that correct? 

correct, they don't. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@SarahB7183 

You can but POE Extenders which allow power to be imput from an ordinary plug. Thre are probably many out there but this is one set - note the power requirement for the device to be powered dictates which one you buy.

https://www.4gon.co.uk/ubiquiti-adapters-c-337_610_762_1540.html

Ubiquiti also do WAP's but they are not the cheapest. They fall somewhere between consumer and enterprise grade.

Brian

Ian06
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@SarahB7183  that's is correct, the  Plusnet hub does not support POE.  As other suggested you can get POE injectors to add power onto an ethernet cable... or you can get something like these that can be power from an adapter, but may not provide any local ethernet ports (other than the connection back to the hub.)

AC750 Travel Router   AX1800 Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 Access Point or AC1200 Dual-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Router  which work as Access Points and powered locally. 

Sorry if that reads like an advert for TP-Link, lots of other makes are available but I've always been happy with the TP-link kit I have bought.

A lot depends on you garden room, how the cables are fitted, what power is available and what will fit in/not be obtrusive....

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@SarahB7183 - if you have a spare router knocking around then you could always try configuring it as an additional access point and sticking it on the end of the garden ethernet connection.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵