cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet 2 hub

Shaza

Plusnet 2 hub

Hi
Would this router be a ok ( cheap) replacement for the hub2 as I want separate 2.4 and 5ghz like I had with talktalk

TP-LINK Archer C50 WiFi Cable & Fibre Router - AC 1200, Dual-band

Thanks for your help
16 REPLIES 16
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Plusnet 2 hub

@Shaza 

Welcome to the Plusnet Community Fora.

It depends on whether you are on FTTC or Full Fibre FTTP. This device will not work on standard FTTC Fibre unless you also buy a modem.

An alternative solution:  https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Separate-Bands-with-a-Smarthub-2-or-Pl...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Moderator's note:
Thread moved from Full Fibre to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Why do you want to separate the bands?

The hub two provides the business with rich diagnostic information which can be invaluable when investigating faults.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Shaza

I have this , Full Fibre 145 , so just wanted a cheap router dual band
Ps. Not sure what half of this stuff means ( sorry)
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

See here a view on TP products - https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/TP-Link-Archer-VR2800-NOT-up-to-the-Job-as-a-replacement-fo...

The Hub Two is dual. And and wil eat FF145. The fact that you cannot split the SSIDs is in the vast majority of circumstances not an issue. Having them the same allows devices to make optimal connections. Having them different might result in a device hanging onto a marginal 5GHz signal or a device not picking up the faster 5GHz signal and thereby deliver less than optimal performance.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Shaza

Not sure about all this stuff ( sorry)
My partner says his phone is connecting to the 5ghz then after a few minutes switching to 2.4 , the router is in the same room but he says 5ghz has an average speed of 140 and the 2.4 is around 50 so wants the faster speeds
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Which phone?

Shaza

He's said Samsung a22 5g
I switched to Plusnet last week from talktalk
He said no problems with the talktalk router 5ghz work great in the house then switched to the 2.4 in the garden, he said talktalk had two separate logins and worked great
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

A quick Google search suggests that this is a known problem with that phone. For example see https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-A/Is-anyone-facing-WiFi-issues-on-A22-5g/td-p/11842884 and the referenced links.

I’d fix the phone before spending money on a router which might not fix the real issue.

Shaza

But worked great for the last 18 months with the talktalk router so nothing wrong with the phone .
As the original question... Any recommendations for a dual band router as hub2 is no good for us
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The other router having separate SSIDs for the 5GHz and 2.4GHz simply masked the known issue with the phone.

You could just use the same router if that’s the approach you want to continue - just change the account settings … and lose the diagnostic merits of the supplied Hub Two.

Alternatively any router which allows the separation of the SSIDs … which should de detailed in their specifications.

Shaza

My partner says he can smell something , but thanks for your opinion townman
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@Shaza 

There is an option on the Hub two which may help.

From the Home Page http://192.168.1.254 Navigate to >Advanced Settings >Wireless >Wireless mode:

Try changing the Mode from 1 to 2

TP-Link have a link which helps you choose a router if that is your intention https://www.tp-link.com/uk/explore/wifi-router/ 

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

HTH

EDIT: are you using the power pack that came with the Hub Two

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Dan,

Not sure that changing the mode will fix that phone's reported propensity to band hop as per the link provided.  From the Hub Two help screens...

This mode allows you to tune your wireless features to give you the best performance with all your wireless devices.
Your Plusnet Hub is automatically set to Mode 1

Mode 1: Gives you the fullest featured wireless, maximising throughput and range.

Mode 2: Some devices can sometimes struggle to use the latest Wireless features, if you have any devices that can't get a good wireless connection, try using this mode. Selecting this mode may reduce the wireless range and throughput but improve connectivity.

Mode 3: Change to this mode if your wireless devices don't perform well using mode 1 or 2. Selecting this mode will reduce the latest features as well as wireless range and throughput compared to Mode 1 and 2. This will allow for the broadest range of devices to operate on the wireless.
The features that are reduced include: power saving procedures, traffic aggregation methods and Multiple Concurrent data streams.

The claim is that the device is already suffering range and throughput issues.

As for the OP's partner's olfactory receptors, I guess that some people simply do not like alternative perspectives, even when supported with relevant evidence from the device provider's own support website.

There are though alternative possibilities, such as the WiFi channels chosen by the SMART SETTING channel selection are not ideal in the user's environments.  Again from the router's help pages.

Wireless channels

Like a radio, the Plusnet Hub transmits its wireless signal on different channels. This tells you what channel it's currently using.

We recommend you use the Smart setting, which means the Hub will automatically choose the best channel available.

In respect of the 2.4GHz band, if neighbouring WiFI systems are on the interstitial channels, then preferred channels (1, 6 or 11) auto selected by the Hub Two are not going to be clean ... possibly giving rise to the router doing frequent channel hopping in a vain attempt to find a better channel.  When that happens, connected devices need to follow the channel hop .. .which can impact perceived performance.

Manually selecting one of the above channels (rather than smart channel) might also be beneficial.

Inspection of the WiFi spectrum using inSIDDer might be helpful.