cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What modem specs do I need?

mrspock
Dabbler

What modem specs do I need?

I'm looking to change the Hub 2 I have with something better, wifi 6 or 6+. I'm on Full fiber 500.

I'm just trying to find out what specs/tech the wifi 6 router must have, after that I'll search for an affordable brand/model.

So far I only know that the wifi 6 router must also have modem, nothing else.

What are the other specs that a router must have to be able to work with a full fiber?

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 404

Re: What modem specs do I need?

must also have modem

No!, you do not need a modem for full fibre. The ONT is the modem. You need a wireless router with an ethernet WAN port that can be configured for PPPoE.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

FTTP (full fibre) does not need a 'modem' within the router, so a device capable of working in bridge mode will do the job.  Sometimes these are called cable routers.

Google search FTTP routers.

There are other things you might consider, such as might you want a VoIP service in the future?  Fritz!box routers are all singing and all dancing ... but are not the cheapest.

Unless you have client devices capable of using WiFi 6 or 6+ there is no merit in buying the more expensive routers which facilitate it.

EDIT: As ever @MisterW types faster than me whilst also doing the research!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@mrspock 

If the only reason that you want to replace the Hub2 is its lack of WiFi 6 or 6+, have you considered keeping the Hub2 and turning off its WiFi? You could then get a suitable 6/6+ wireless access point or even a mesh system - which could work out better and/or cheaper?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

have you considered keeping the Hub2 and turning off its WiFi? You could then get a suitable 6/6+ wireless access point or even a mesh system

On full fibre, with a mesh system, there's really not much point on keeping the Hub 2 and turning off its Wifi. You might just as well connect the mesh system directly to the ONT.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@MisterW 

My only experience of a mesh system is my original version BT Whole Home WiFi system which I use via the PN Hub2 on our current FTTC service.

When Openreach finally get around to putting FTTP in around here, if I then connect the "Master" WiFi disc directly to the ONT, where will I plug in all of our other wired ethernet devices?

I don't think an ethernet switch between the ONT and Master disc would work would it? (How would the wired devices get allocated an internal IP address?).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

if I then connect the "Master" WiFi disc directly to the ONT, where will I plug in all of our other wired ethernet devices?

Dont the discs have wired ports ? Looking at something like this https://www.mercusys.com/en/product/details/halo-h80x/ each unit has 3 gigabit ports , so you plug your wired devices into those. If you more wired ports at any mesh unit , then use a switch plugged into one of the LAN ports on that mesh unit.

don't think an ethernet switch between the ONT and Master disc would work would it? (How would the wired devices get allocated an internal IP address?)

You're correct, you can't put a switch there.

edit: Dont the discs have wired ports ?

Just looked at the spec, and they don't have ports!! . @Mr_Paul I can see why you might want to use the Hub 2.

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@MisterW 

My "original version" BT Whole Home WiFi discs do each have a single ethernet port. The "master" disc must be cable connected to the router, but the two "remote" discs can connect to the master either via WiFi or via the wired ethernet network.

I have ethernet cabled all three of my discs, for two reasons: if connecting by wireless, the quality of the signal broadcast by the remotes is dependent upon the quality of the signal they receive from the master. Also, cabling all three discs resolved another problem that I was having with mobile WiFi Calling calls dropping out when moving between discs whilst on a call when the remotes connected wirelessly.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Mr_Paul it would seem that the BT whole home discs don't really consider the need to connect wired devices (other than connecting themselves ) whereas the newer Mesh systems do provide for it.