Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pi-Hole Query

FIXED
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Pi-Hole Query

@Raxiel wrote:

. I'm not sure the Pi itself can see the outside world though, I tried updating gravity and they all came back refused?

You are not the only one here learning!

I have assumed that if my computer is using the router to get the DNS resolver IP address and that this is diverting all requests to the pi-hole, then if I can access the outside world it must be using the resolver specified by the pi-hole, so talking to the outside world.

The other thing that I have read is that both primary and secondary IP resolver addresses are used, hence the need to set both to the pi-hole IP address.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Raxiel
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 yeah i cleared the browse cache, and flushed the dns cache too. Ads still show and the web ui shows 0% blocked (actually, when i did a quick test in edge that managed to trigger a couple of telemetry blocks, but still ads appear).

Right now, I'm only pointing the DNS for the network adapter on my PC to the Pi, I don't want to change the router until I'm sure its working. I just tried setting both the preferred and alternative dns in windows to point to the Pi, and it's still not blocking anything.

I thought perhaps one of the many domain lists I added from firebog.net was causing a conflict, but even disabling everything except the default list makes no difference.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@Raxiel 

I'm not entirely sure I've got mine working fully yet but I did have to turn off DCHP on the router and enable it on the Pi. Then disconnect all devices and re-connect to clear previous settings. After this, the Pi started blocking.

There are many help videos out there but I used these two.

https://www.wundertech.net/how-to-setup-a-raspberry-pi-zero-without-a-monitor-keyboard-or-mouse/

https://www.crosstalksolutions.com/the-worlds-greatest-pi-hole-and-unbound-tutorial-2023/

The first got me up and running on the Pi and the second is helping with Pi-Hole. Although the second one is about 40 minutes long it has written detailed instructions attached.

Brian

Raxiel
Dabbler

Well, after confirming with ipconfig /all that both DNS server addresses were pointed to the Pi, I unplugged it and... nothing happened, the internet continued to work just fine, even with sites I've never visited before in my life.

Then the penny dropped... I'm using Firefox. It's privacy settings are sending all its dns queries to cloudflare regardless of my windows settings.

Seems to be working now

bmc
Hero

@Raxiel 

Never thought about FireFox privacy settings. Am I correct in assuming that with Pi-Hole I don't need to use Privacy mode.

Brian

Raxiel
Dabbler

@bmc Yes, DNS over HTTPS at the bottom of the Privacy and Security page should be set to 'off'. Tracking protection, I assume should still be on.

You could also set increased or max protection and put the Pi down as the custom DNS provider, but the only thing that would add is to prevent it using your alternative dns (if you have one specified in windows or on the router) in the event it can't reach the Pi

bmc
Hero

@Raxiel 

Thanks. I think I'm up and running.

Just added 7 new adlists to take the total Domains on Adlists from 125355 to 809612.

When I have time I'll install Unbound on Pi-Hole and then stop using FireFox Privacy Mode.

Brian