cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Windows 11 Pro Version

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Updating Windows 11 Pro Version

It has come to my notice that my PC is stuck on version 21/H2 and will not update.

Belarc Advisor comes up with two local user accounts:

1. local user account, which is active.

2. local system account: marked as disabled.

I am assumming that this is the problem stopping the update. Can any-one suggest how I fix this?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

4 REPLIES 4
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

Re: Updating Windows 11 Pro Version

In the past when I've had issues with updates I have used the Windows Update trouble-shooter found here

System >Troubleshoot >Other Trouble-shooters >Windows Update?

Have you used this and what does it report?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@Dan_the_Van 

Thanks Dan for coming back. Windows update works and reports that I am up to date.
I suspect that this is of my making over the years. I had removed the need to log in on start up and had been using another account with ‘admin’ privileges. It looks like these privileges do not include system updates. I have returned to needing to log in so that I can see all the accounts but found that the real admin account is corrupted.

Before I go any further I am going to clone the system disc just in case it all turns to rats. The last fresh install took a couple of days to sort out. Anyway, It’s an excuse to get a faster one..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

@Baldrick1 

I've not had issues with Windows 10 with a 'standard' account not updating, as expected to change any settings or to install programs I have to enter Administrator Password when prompted. Both the administrator account and the standard user have to be logged in.

I only have one Windows 11 device and it's a HP laptop with one user which is my Microsoft account, this account is a administrator for the local user. I also have to login on this device.

Don't envy you rebuilding a PC from scratch, I use clonezilla for images and always keep a know good image to revert back to in times of trouble or before installing any new product I'm not sure about.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

If it's stuck on 21H2 (23H2 is current) is there a "compatibility" issue with W11 hardware requirements?

If it's an "older" machine and a few "tricks of the trade" have been used to install W11 on a notionally incompatible system it won't "upgrade" to either 22H2 or 23H2 and presumably not the approaching 24H2 (final W11 version?) without using the same/similar "tricks".

Maybe worth running the PC Health Check "App" to see if that flags anything?