cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL is with Plusnet (non-contract) but line and phone is with BT - what next?

FIXED
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: ADSL is with Plusnet (non-contract) but line and phone is with BT - what next?

@fjr1300 

Is FTTP available now, coming in the near future or is this just a general question for the future?

I believe when upgrading there is an option to keep existing line - if you leave that unchecked then I would assume it cancels your landline.

You could phone PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to ask what your options are. If you are still in contract with BT then you may pay early termination charges. Only they can give you an answer on that.

Brian

fjr1300

Re: ADSL is with Plusnet (non-contract) but line and phone is with BT - what next?

FTTP is available now.

I am not shown that option about keeping my number and there is a warning that I will lose my phone but nothing about how that will take place hence my question.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 60

@fjr1300 

A staff member may pick up on this thread but the quickest way to get an answer would be to phone COT as suggested.

I take it you're not worried about losing the landline.

Brian

fjr1300

No.

I'm worried about falling into a BT black hole and wasting hours of my time.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 438

there is a warning that I will lose my phone but nothing about how that will take place hence my question.

@fjr1300 Plusnet place what's known as a 'change of ownership cease' order on your landline, to complete at the same time as the FTTP order. So your landline is effectively transferred from BT and immediately ceased. It should trigger a 'sorry you are leaving' from BT and your account to be closed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fjr1300

Thanks if that's the case then fine I'll bite the bullet

redsox9
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Baldrick1 

This split service arrangement will, I fear, turn into a nightmare at some time in the next 2 years.

Can you elaborate on that?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@redsox9 

See https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/The-Problem-with-Separate-Phone-and-Internet-Providers... for an explanation I produced a little while ago.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

redsox9
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Baldrick1 

Thanks. Most useful for those of us contemplating the upgrade from ADSL to Full Fibre. How does one avoid being told by the VOIP provider that the phone number cannot be ported because it is no longer active?  Members seem to have had different experiences.