cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Extra speeds not as expected

paddyhalfmonkey

Fibre Extra speeds not as expected

I recently moved to fibre extra (80/20Mb) and was previously on the standard 40/10...I've recently had an Openreach engineer test and confirm our line is capable of 74Mb down, but I'm only getting consistently 49Mb down and 12 up. This is only marginally faster than the previous package where speed tests consistently gave me 37Mb down and 9 up. The recent engineer visit confirmed there is nothing wrong with the circuit from my house to the exchange....Why am I still getting poor speeds? (an average increase of only 12Mb down does not seem worth the change...
5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Fibre Extra speeds not as expected

@paddyhalfmonkey If the engineer confirmed you should be able to get a d/l speed of 74Mb/s, then we need a little more detail:

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (Ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If you are unsure about any of the above, please just ask - I am happy to help.

John
paddyhalfmonkey

How do you post screenshots? There's only an option to attach files
jab1
Legend

If you are using a desktop/laptop, click the icon to the right of the 'smiley' above the input box.

John
paddyhalfmonkey

Hi,

The router is plugged directly into the NTE5 master socket and I'm using an ethernet connection to my PC (doing the tests)

I couldn't work out how to get router diagnostics, but have recently reset it and has been rebooted since.

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

jab1
Legend

Cheers for those shots, @paddyhalfmonkey . As you can see from the first picture, the speed range for your connection is nowhere near 74Mb/s, so where the engineer got his thoughts from is anyone's guess.

Which Hub have you got, as the data from there is a vital piece of information?

John