Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub flashing pink - no internet

FIXED
Logan72
Dabbler

Hub flashing pink - no internet

Suddenly since 2pm today - hub started flashing pink and no internet since. Devices connected okay but no broadband. First problem in 2 years. Nothing has changed in that time. I’ve read about bridge mode but that is steady pink light? Factory reset carried out but no difference. Thank you.
20 REPLIES 20
Logan72
Dabbler

Re: Hub flashing pink - no internet

Update - logged with Plusnet fault text service. They advise it could be local BT network issue? County Durham.
Logan72
Dabbler

Still no broadband - have logged a fault/question via my online account.
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

Hey there @Logan72 I have just checked the line for you and there is actually a service outage in the area that has an estimated response time of 08/12/2023 18:00:51 ! That seems a long week away. I am so sorry about this.

We will obviously compensate you for the issue although you are probably more concerned about the internet or lack of.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Logan72
Dabbler

Thanks so much. Oh wow - yes, I didn’t expect that long or think people actually went without for that long nowadays! 😆 Is that the wider bt infrastructure then or plusnet specific? Thank you very much for looking at it.
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@Logan72 

Whilst this won't get your broadband fixed any quicker, are you aware that it is usually possible to set up a mobile phone as a WiFi hotspot to give some connectivity?

Do you have a Smartphone, and if so do you get a reasonable signal from the mobile mast? What is your monthly data allowance?

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

@Logan72 It looks to be a BT infrastructure issue so they'll be more people than you realise that are being affected by it. It's not a problem at all! That's what I am here for Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Logan72
Dabbler

Thank you @Mr_Paul. Yes, will try and survive like this! 😊
Logan72
Dabbler

Hello Team - is there anything further for this fault?  I'm still without service.  I've updated my account help question.  I'm still a bit baffled by it.  I've seen a transcript where copper theft at Orpington Exchange is the cause?  Kent?  That affects me in County Durham?  I would never think so! 😆

Thank you all.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 223

Hi, @Logan72 That must be a mistake surely, I had to look up where Orpington was (South East London, bordering Kent) I've checked against your details and the outage in your area is still ongoing but is due to be resolved by the 11th at 6pm.

Adam

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

@Logan72 

JOOI, do you have a link to news about that cable theft?

I don't live in that area any more, but 40 years ago I worked in that telephone exchange!

TIA

Logan72
Dabbler

Thanks @adamwalker and @Mr_Paul.

I'll remain patient.

Very interesting that you worked there @Mr_Paul !  I have a nostalgic fondness from working in a PABX exchange that used to serve the public sector in Sheffield - Moorfoot! 😁

The Orpington reference is in my account question call notes for this - I'm guessing now it's just an unrelated copy/paste:

title
Orpington Exchange E-side Cable T - THEFT
Cause
Theft
Open
Type:
Incident
Notification date
02/12/23 13:57:59
Start date
02/12/23 13:56:38

Cheers both 👍

Logan72
Dabbler

Hi All,

Hmm, so I'm sensing a real problem with getting this fixed now, and possibly a vicious circle - openreach's latest fix eta has expired and it's now pushed to the evening of the 15th.

With plusnet (or presumably any other provider) unable to progress chase openreach until 48 hours after the fix expiry, do openreach just keep changing the fix eta without any real substance behind it?  This is the third time.

Coincidentally I passed my specific roadside cabinet today - although it's close to my house I hadn't been that way since my outage...and it's been knocked over!  Now the Orpington exchange distraction is out of the equation, that's the fault I'd say!  It has to be.  However, no work is being carried out locally and physically to it.  It also looks like none has been since 30 nov either, when I guess something ran into it?  Why are there no openreach vans camped outside, with a tent and floodlights around it? 🤣

I'm half joking, but I have to assume there is no work being done or has been for the 12 days since it happened. 

I'm also wondering (grateful for advice) whether the reason there isn't a bigger local uproar about the outage is because many nearby houses have gone full fibre rather than fibre to the cabinet only and this no longer passes through that cabinet, so they're not affected?  Is this a possibility and backs up the apparent lack of urgency to fix it?  Could I end up being without service for the long term now (esp. over Xmas) and would I get it back quicker upgrading to full fibre??!  Not what I particularly want to do however.

I'm now chomping through mobile data which will soon start to cost me whilst also paying for a broadband service I'm not getting.  With my wife and me mainly working from home, the situation will soon start to affect us...not to mention Xmas entertainment! 😮

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 32

I can't see changing to FTTP being an issue unless someone has pinched the fibres for their Christmas trees as well. Sorry, I don't want to think of life without out internet at my place. 

Just give me a shout if you want to get through to a team to see about a deal. There is an element of cable theft involved from the notes and to be honest they wouldn't work on the cabinet if they can't test the connection due to the theft elsewhere. Also, playing advocate, that cabinet may not be the one service you but all I know is that you're on cabinet 1 if you even see an engineer to ask if that's the 1.

James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro

"all I know is that you're on cabinet 1 if you even see an engineer to ask if that's the 1."

Most of the cabinets that I have seen have their number stencil painted on them in white paint - so should be easy enough to identify.