cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need 2.4GHz for a device that doesn't support 5G

EmBiczyk

I need 2.4GHz for a device that doesn't support 5G

I have a device that doesn't support 5G.  It needs 2.4 GHz.  I have fibre unlimitted and understand it is 5G.  I only see 1 wifi option when I connect.  Can I do something to get 2.4 GHz option alongside the 5G?

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: I need 2.4GHz for a device that doesn't support 5G

@EmBiczyk Which Hub do you have?

John
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

Once we know the hub we should be able to help Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
EmBiczyk

Thanks I managed to find the answer on another web site.  I went into the router / advanced settings / networks where I could see the 2.4 GHz and 5G.  I renamed the 2.4 and told the 5G not to sink with the 2.4 and now I have both showing.  I have a hub 1.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

Awesome, glad it's sorted. Let us know if we can be of anymore assistance

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 166

What was the real problem here?

It does not matter that the SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz are the same in this scenario, the device will select which ever band it can use.  Such is how the newer Hub Twos are configured: whilst one can turn off the 5GHz band on that router, the bands cannot have a distinct SSID.  There is a single SSID and devices connects to the band which is best for the device.

The only good reason for having distinct SSIDs is where one has a device which will work on either band but "roams" aggressively (flip-flops) between the two bands, leading to poor throughput performance.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.