cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Connection is Getting Slower and Slower

stevenwhit
Dabbler

My Connection is Getting Slower and Slower

My connection seems to be pretty flaky the last couple of months.  I had to switch over to Fibre from regular ADSL in April.  It's less reliable and seems slower than my old ADSL service i'd had with Plusnet since 2005.  Speeds are all over the place    Lots of disconnections too.🤔 🤔  Ive had uplink speeds as low as 200k 🤔

14 REPLIES 14
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

Re: My Connection is Getting Slower and Slower

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (Ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

If you are unsure about any of the above, please just ask

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stevenwhit
Dabbler

Ok ive tried my best with these screenshots, unfortunately I don't have a computer with a ethernet connection, but did put the laptop next to the router. The Advanced Diagnostics BT speed test didn't seem to want to work here though (it didnt when i tested my speed before), it tried it quite a few times.

capture_001_13092023_140208.jpgcapture_001_13092023_142551.jpgcapture_002_13092023_143358.jpg

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That's fine, the screenshot from the Hub 2 says it all! You have a major problem with the performance of your line.

The downstream seems to be capped at 19.999Mb as indicated by the very high SNR margin, the upstream speed is appalling but since the SNR margin is only 6db it would indicate a line problem is affecting it.

Are you connected directly to the master socket ?

Are there any extension sockets wired in ?

If you have the latest master socket , an NTe5C with a Mk4 faceplate, its probably worth unclipping the faceplate and connecting the router directly (using a DSL filter) to the test socket, then repeat the Hub 2 screenshot. It has been known for the faceplate connectors to be faulty.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stevenwhit
Dabbler

IMG_20230913_160234.jpgIt's connected directly to the mastersocket, there are no extensions. I did just take the faceplate off and plug it directly into the socket.   Here's what the router says with that setup

capture_001_13092023_154513.jpg

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, so basically no improvement, that eliminates any internal wiring as a cause, you have a fault on the line which is causing the low speeds. The downstream is way below the handback threshold (MGALS) and , as I said earlier , the upstream is diabolical!

You need to report a fault, which should get an Openreach engineer appointment to investigate.

In the first instance ( assuming you have a mobile ) then use the Troubleshoot by text facilility here https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

stevenwhit
Dabbler

OK, I don't know if this is relevant, BUT, CityFibre have been installing fibre across the town and recently they installed a tall telephone pole a few houses down, I noticed that the line from my house to the old pole behind it is draped across one of the rungs on the new pole.  Could they have damaged the line when installing the new pole?  I've attached a few pictures.

,P1150204a.jpgcapture_001_13092023_162151.jpg

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Your line looks a bit slack, so I would question what else have they done to it ? All the others still look correct.

If that was about when the speed started to drop, then its probably not coincidence!

Start by reporting a fault, and an Openreach engineer should spot that cable and check it out.

stevenwhit
Dabbler

UPDATE:  Have done the text based fault reporting.  This was the conclusion:

Hi, PlusNet Diagnostics bot here.  Our diagnostic testing has found a problem with our network.  We will arrange an Openreach engineer to investigate.  The tests indicate that Openreach will be able to resolve the problem without visiting your property.  You will not be charged.

No idea what kind of fault it is, but as it says it's with PlusNet, they ought to refund me my bill for the terrible broadband connection.🤔

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sounds like the cityfibre installation DID disturb your line.

stevenwhit
Dabbler

Do I get any notification from PlusNet about what work was carried out and when and if it's believed to be fixed?  I haven't heard anything since reporting the initial fault on Wednesday 13th.  Connection is still the same.  🤔

capture_001_16092023_083642.jpg

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@stevenwhit  did you actually report a fault, or just post on here?

stevenwhit
Dabbler

Yes, via Text reporting.  This was the last text I received in response to the report from them Wednesday 13th:

Hi, PlusNet Diagnostics bot here.  Our diagnostic testing has found a problem with our network.  We will arrange an Openreach engineer to investigate.  The tests indicate that Openreach will be able to resolve the problem without visiting your property.  You will not be charged.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@stevenwhit 

Log in to your Plusnet account and see if a ticket has been raised for this fault. If so it might give more information.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

@stevenwhit here is the ticket https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=236876399

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team