cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not achieving minimum guaranteed speed: 71Mbps

Fixxxer
Grafter

Not achieving minimum guaranteed speed: 71Mbps

Over the last 7 days I have not managed to achieve minimum guaranteed speed of 71Mbps. I am connected directly to the router via CAT5e and have restarted the router and am getting sync at 7,200 (Kbps) UP and 34,998 (Kbps) Down. BT Wholesale Advanced Test is showing an IP Profile of 32.4 (Mbps) Download and 20 (Mbps) Upload.

PlusNet Diagnostics bot ran tests and found fault but having previously been a Plusnet (Force9) Business customer and recently opting to open a PlusNet residental Unlimited Fibre Extra inc. Line rental account, for some reason I still get emails regarding my bill for an account that hasn't been used since opting for Fibre, is this normal?

I didn't want to commit to an engineer visit if the diagnostic bot was working from the wrong information.

All advice would be much appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Not achieving minimum guaranteed speed: 71Mbps

@Fixxxer You obviously have a fault requiring OpenReach intervention - both those speeds are way below what you should be getting, and from what you have said, Plusnet recognise there is a fault.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@Fixxxer 

With every contract you should have received an email with details of your connection and MSG, what does that indicate?

To me a Minimum Guaranteed Speed (MSG) of 71Mbps seems rather high, for the full picture it would be worth posting the results for the BT Wholesale availability checker.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL make sure you hide your landline phone number.

The connection status from your Hub. Click link for Plusnet Hub Home Page

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

Post a screen shot hiding your broadband username

Hopefully someone here can further comment on your expectations.

Fixxxer
Grafter

@Dan_the_Van 

I've attached the information you suggested with the exception of router details as I'm using a Draytek Vigor 2860 and can confirm that my normal sync/download is 70Mbps+. I suspected it to be a line profile issue which would correct itself over time or could alternatively be addressed by PlusNet without intervention from BT.

Everything is connected to the router using CAT5e, router has been restarted and connected to the Openreach™ NTE5C MK2 Master Socket with lower front plate removed.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Fixxxer 

A@jab1 says something is wrong

Have plusnet contacted you regarding the fault bot finding an issue? Is there an open question on your account, what does that indicate? 

Your SNR looks to me to be 20 down and 20 up which would explain the reduced speeds.

jab1
Legend

@Dan_the_Van And indicate a definite OR network issue. The speed is way, way below the handback threshold.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@jab1 

To me it seems odd the SNR figures are both 20dB, if it's not the modem/router then yes it's a Openreach issue

@Fixxxer 

Last thought have you adjusted the SNR via the cli?

jab1
Legend

Yep, those SNR figures look very odd. I could understand the D/S being a bit above 6dB considering the (assumed) line attenuation, but for both of them to be 20 dB is strange.

John
Fixxxer
Grafter

@Dan_the_Van
PlusNet have not reached out or opened a ticket for this issue as yet. Neither have I attempted to set SNR via the cli, I'll look into this when I have access to the router.

I also have screen shots taken throughout the week and can compare the SNR values.

@jab1
Thanks for your input.

Will update later today.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Fixxxer 

If I was you I would call plusnet, you have a service issue which need resolving.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 493

Hi @Fixxxer 

I can see you've spoken with our support team and an engineer is booked for tomorrow

Let us know how you get on after the visit 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Fixxxer
Grafter

@jab1 @Dan_the_Van @MatthewWheeler 

I'm pleased to report that the BT/Openreach engineer was able to resolve my issue by replacing the lower front plate on the Openreach™ NTE5C MK2 Master Socket and a line reset.

See attachment, it's good to have a reference point/record of what normal service looks like.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

Awesome! Glad to hear it! If you do need anything else from the support team, please let us know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team