cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Periodic loss of home network

dunkitando

Periodic loss of home network

Hi there,

Multiple times per day, all devices (wired and wireless) on my home network will lose their connection for a brief period of time.  The internet and the router itself is inaccessible.  This can last from 15 seconds to a minute.  See attached for example pings.

As the router becomes inaccessible it's making me believe that it is the issue and needs replacement.  If I am on the router admin page at the time it becomes unresponsive, then resumes as if nothing happened.

This has only started happening in the last couple of weeks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
Anunnaki
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Periodic loss of home network

Well that's different !

On your ping listings, are the pings being sent once a second ? - i.e. making the 'timed out' period six seconds ?

I'm struggling to imagine what a router could be doing for only six seconds, certainly too short for any sort of reboot.

The first thing that comes to mind is perhaps it is recovering internally from trying to process some corrupted setting in memory, my suggestion being try doing a "factory reset" on it, to clear all it's settings to defaults, to see if that helps.

The other thing I'd be suspicious of, would be whether the power supply is borderline under volts, causing the ethernet and WiFi ports to momentarily drop out.  Unplug the DC power plug from the back, and use a volt meter to check the voltage between the inner and outer conductors of the plug - compared to the rated voltage written on the power supply body.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Sight of the Hubs event log would be more useful.

John
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@Anunnaki 

"The other thing I'd be suspicious of, would be whether the power supply is borderline under volts, causing the ethernet and WiFi ports to momentarily drop out.  Unplug the DC power plug from the back, and use a volt meter to check the voltage between the inner and outer conductors of the plug - compared to the rated voltage written on the power supply body."

A good suggestion, but in my experience Switched Mode Power Supplies only show this fault properly when it is under load - ie connected to and powering the equipment.

I accept that would involve either cutting the cable to make the meter connections, or opening up the Hub to tap across the power connector. Luckily, I have a soldering iron and heat shrink sleeving to repair if necessary!

dunkitando

@Anunnaki wrote:

The other thing I'd be suspicious of, would be whether the power supply is borderline under volts, causing the ethernet and WiFi ports to momentarily drop out.  Unplug the DC power plug from the back, and use a volt meter to check the voltage between the inner and outer conductors of the plug - compared to the rated voltage written on the power supply body.

This is a good shout, the router was plugged in through a powerline adapter, will plug it in direct and see if that helps.

The event log of the router doesn't show anything of note, I'll screenshot it if it happens again