Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promises, promises.

jim13
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Promises, promises.

When I renewed my contract last year, I was guaranteed a download speed of 24mbs. I got it too - for about a month. Then, for the 24mbs steadily dropped to 18-20mbs. Bit of a pain when trying to watch live streams.

I'm not really surprised. This has been the pattern every time I have contracted to Plusnet. But it is a bit naughty to promise something at renewal time knowing it won't be delivered.

Ho hum.

4 REPLIES 4
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Promises, promises.

@jim13   believe it or not, it is not a deliberate ploy by PN or any ISP for that matter.

Lines do develop faults, so why not get to know your service, log into your router, look at the stats, listen to your line with an analogue  phone, dial 17070 if you have a phone service and so on..

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@jim13 

When you say that you were promised 24Mbps, are you referrimg to the contractual Guaranteed Minimum Speed specified in your contract, or the estimated speed?

If it's the MGS then report a fault. see: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/

When you change ISP, Openreach reset the street cabinet DLM. Over the following week or two this is automatically 'tuned' to give you the best compromise between speed and data errors, there is no point of the line going so fast that there is a high error rate and the same data has to be resent.

In technical terms the SNR is set to 6dB. If you are on a good telephone line this will reduce and your speed will increase. However, if the line is picking up electrical noise then tha SNR will increase to reduce the error rate, resulting in the speed dropping to maximise your real world (usable) data rate.

It's not a devilish plot to defraud you, rather a way of getting the best out of telephone cable that is being used for a purpose which was never originally envisaged.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jim13
Rising Star

Thanks Baldrick.

Yes, I understand. I've been there a few times before.

I'm just letting my frustrations escape.

I'll vent today and be fine again tomorrow!

Jim

jim13
Rising Star

Thanks Mustrum.

Yep, done the stats, phone check, and had the face plate off the internet socket so often that I'll need bigger screws to fix it back on.

It's mainly because I live in Argyll & Bute where we have the slowest broadband in the country. Penalty for being able to enjoy magnificent seascapes and mountains.

Jim