cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Slow broadband

jammy2

Ive had broadband a few months now and the speed has been going down and down and now to 3 meg, according to plusnet speed test Im getting 27meg to the house, so what is the issue ? its driving me mad 

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket (ideally this should be a corded phone). The line should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below. NB: You need to put your LANDLINE NUMBER after "PHONE" [missing instruction].

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats (include line speed, attenuation, SNRM, uptime and if available, error counts); for PN routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics, download the .PDF report and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Check the Plusnet user portal for the "Current Line Speed" which is relevant to users with static IP addresses.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Moderators Note

This topic has been split off from an old topic and moved for increased visibility.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jammy2

Tried the test and all I can hear is crackling down the phone, I have also sent text but no response, seems more like a line problem as had similar before

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That is a good step forward - you know that you have a copper circuit / voice issue. Did you follow the phone fault link below?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jammy2

Hi yes done the phone fault and it says no issue, followed all instructions about setup and master socket but no change, all I can think of is its a faulty router as I used another provider previous and it was fine, its since I have had Plusnet and the router its been a problem 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If you can hear noise on the line with the router unplugged you have a line fault. Call support ideally on the landline.

If you only hear noise when the router is plugged in (via the filter) then you probably have a filter fault. Are there any telephone extensions?