Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeated resets with speed changes 2 days after fault fix

paw09
Hooked

Repeated resets with speed changes 2 days after fault fix

Connection and speed loss after a fix.
Connection fibre/copper, 17mbps download, 11 years no problem.
First fault, no Internet or phone, check line message on phone. Report fault by text, fixed in 3days, back up to speed. OK for 2 days then frequent router resets, up to 6/hour, with different speeds each time but eventually dropping to around 3-4 mbps. Showed line fault this time with open reach checking from house. Fault found at next junction down line, joints remade, back up to 17mbps. For 2 days.
Frequent resets start with speed reductions. Report fault, open reach revisit the same joint, further strip back cables and remake joint. Back up to speed, 3 days this time then resets start with variable speed reductions down to 2-3mbps. Report fault, line check causes router light to briefly flicker and speed back up to 17mbps.
A fix!!
Alas no, 1 hour later another reset and back down to 5mbps.
After the first fix the line was very crackly, next fix helped, second line fix better still and now quiet line test is very quiet but router still keeps losing connection.
Last plusnet line test shows open reach fault so could be in cabinet or exchange. Don't know what first fix was as it wasn't logged.
For the 2 days after a fix no router resets seen, steady 15-17mbps download speed.
3.5mbps is about the speed we got before going to fibre copper so minimum speed are roughly in line with no fibre.
Anyone come across this sort of fault fault before?
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Re: Repeated resets with speed changes 2 days after fault fix

@paw09 

Do you still have a fault? If so, report it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

paw09
Hooked

Yes, it is reported as stated above.
Last line test showed openreach fault.
It's a pity that they close a fault as soon as it is supposed to be fixed rather than leaving it few days to see if it really is fixed.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@paw09 

So in answer to the question: 'Has any-one come across an intermittent fault that needs more than one Openreach visit to fix?' the answer is yes.

These faults can be very difficult to find, disturbing the wiring whilst trying to locate the problem can provide a temporary fix that can fool the repair technician into believing that the action taken has fixed the fault.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

paw09
Hooked

If we knew what the first engineer did to fix the initial problem without fixing the high resistant joints we might know what the next step is. His temporary "fix" created a situation whereby even with a good line there is still a problem. Not a cost effective way of problem solving.
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

Hiya @paw09 

Cheers for getting in touch and I'm sorry you are having an issue with your connection. 

I have tested the line and it's showing a fault that we need an engineer for. 

Could you pop me 3 options for an appointment. Appointments are monday to friday 8am to 1pm or 1pm to 6pm.  

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
paw09
Hooked

Hi Sammy
Hi, thanks for getting in touch.
Monday & Tuesday am or pm ideal.
Then
Thursday pm, Friday am & pm.
Philip
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

All booked in for the 13th between 8am and 1pm @paw09 Our faults team will keep you updated after the appointment.  Feel free to let us know how you get on though Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
paw09
Hooked

Great, thanks for that. Will let you know what they find.
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Ta, have a fab weekend Smiley

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
paw09
Hooked

Had a visit from Open reach today and problem looks as though it is now resolved.

The issue was with a link wire from our underground cable into the network. There was a bad joint which randomly broke down and remade contact. So every time it broke our router would reset and depending on how good the remade contact was then depended on what speed we got.  Fortunately while the engineer was testing the line the connection broke and remade so a spike was seen on the trace so we had the distance to trace the fault. The link wire was replaced and all joints have been replaced.

The previous engineers had only remade joints rather than replacing link wire.

The breaking down three days after previous visits we put down to the extra volts used on a line test which must have been sufficient to remake contact breaking down 2-3 days later as the joint oxidized.

Thanks to Sammy and the other Plusnet guys who helped with engineers visits despite when the joint was making contact everything sometimes looked ok.