cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet and lose connection same time every night.

merlin9807
Hooked

Slow internet and lose connection same time every night.

for the last month or so i seem to slow or losing my connection to the internet around 22:00hrs every evening, and i am not sure why this is happening.

Is anyone else having a similar issue?

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 283

Re: Slow internet and lose connection same time every night.

@merlin9807 What service are you on, and which Hub/router are you using?

John
merlin9807
Hooked

@jab1 i am on Fibre and have a TP Link  Archer router

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 283

OK, @merlin9807 . I will post my 'question' template - the fact that you are using a third-party router is a little unfortunate, but hopefully you will be able to provide the information I ask for.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband Availability Checker (obscuring your phone number), where a landline phone is no longer supplied or known use the address version BT Broadband Address Availability (obscuring your address)

BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (Ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS'. This test is recommended to be performed with only one device connected.

Sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would also be of help.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

Where the phone line is still active, it may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If you are unsure about any of the above, please just ask - I am happy to help.

I may not pick this up until tomorrow morning - nearly time for a rest, but I'll do my best.

John
markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 14

@merlin9807 

Is this problem observed on wired as well as wireless connections?

By "fibre" I assume you mean "fbre" over the phone line rather than "full fibre".

If so I wonder if a device does something (backup?) at that time.

What is connected then?

Best guess for something that happens regularly is a device in your home. 

I am the satisfied customer....
JustSomeAnodyne
Grafter

I have the same problem. Indeed some years ago I had it before - I think that I bought the 'pro' addOn, which is now discontinued, to fix it.

I am unsure whether the problem extends to Ethernet - the last think I feel like doing, at 2am when the problem strikes, is going downstairs to check on my desktop PC. But I will do so if necessary.

I have a line that when it is working proper;y gives some 70GB download (even via wifi). But at circa 2am I get total drop-outs or else speeds that sometimes are as slow as 2GB. I have a third-party router. I note also that over the years many people have reported this problem with Plusnet.

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 14

@JustSomeAnodyne 

@JustSomeAnodyne 

Generally there isn't much to go on with your observation but I am intrigued by your comment that "I bought the 'pro' addOn, which is now discontinued, to fix it".

Plusnet doesn't generally traffic shape but from what I can tell that's what the "Pro" add on did.

My best guess is that something in your home does some kind of overnight backup to a cloud service, that fills the upstream bandwidth and thus your internet is on a go slow.

Having said that, this kind of problem was much more common with ADSL than your 70Mb/s down & up to 20Mb/s up service.

When working correctly what upstream speed do you get? With 70Mb/s down I would be expecting more than 16Mb/s upload.

I am the satisfied customer....
Wildroverandy
Aspiring Pro

I’m getting a similar issue here, not so much any slow speeds, that seems fine, but frequently on an evening. The internet goes off for a few moments.

This is on the old Fibre. But it does have decent speeds, we get a steady 70/19 speed reading almost anytime I test it. So I’ve not really seen a need to hurry into switching to FF (besides, we rent, and the landlord rejected it due to uncertainty about digging up the garden, and drilling holes in the wall).

I’m using a BT Business Hub (I got it to be able to use ‘bridge’ mode). But you can see the status light has gone to red, then after a few minutes returns to blue, and everything works ok.

This is generally happening around 20:00 hours in an evening, and we notice it when streaming TV, which will suddenly pause.

I do have my old PN Hub One to try if that helps. Although I prefer the BT hub as it does give slightly better WiFi around the house.

Andy