cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow "fibre" broadband

mbond18

Slow "fibre" broadband

Hi,

I'd like to raise a complaint about the speed of my current broadband service. I'm currently paying just shy of £50 per month for full fibre broadband and the download speed I'm getting is pitiful (around 13Mbps), the upload is 0.34Mbps which is slower than ADSL. Please do something about this asap otherwise I will be complaining to Ofcom about the service I'm receiving. I've attached a speedtest.net summary showing how appalling it is, the test was done on a cat6 cable to the router with no other devices connected via wireless or cable.

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Slow "fibre" broadband

@mbond18 (1) Are you sure you are on Full Fibre (FTTP) and not FTTC? I suspect you are on the latter, in which case:-

First thing to check: Is your phoneline clear? Dial 17070 (preferably from a corded phone), select option 2. Once your phone number is confirmed, there should be silence on the line except for the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message - any other noise, report a PHONE problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

If the phone test passes, report a broadband problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Let us know the result - if the tests come back as clear but you still have a problem, we need to investigate further.

The above assumes you still have 'normal' landline connection - if you have a SOGEA (internet only) one, just use the second link to report a network issue.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

@mbond18 

Plusnet does not monitor the speed of individual connections and rely on receiving reports of poor performance from the customer. Use the links provided above to report your fault.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@mbond18 wrote:

Please do something about this asap otherwise I will be complaining to Ofcom about the service I'm receiving.

Welcome to the forum. 😃

A natural reaction when a service is really poor, but Ofcom do not deal with individual customer complaints.

There are formal procedures for an ISP's customers - this is Plusnet's -

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

If not resolved, it can be escalated to the Communications Ombudsman

https://www.commsombudsman.org/

Murphy was an optimist
Zen SOGEA 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
mbond18

Thanks for that, more helpful than the moderators obnoxious response which says everything about what Plusnet has become.

mbond18

Thank you for your obnoxious response.

BT seem to have downgraded the exchange I used to get 35Mbps but the exchange now seems to have a max of 18 according to the exchange information. So, my problem remains, why am I paying nearly £50 a month for a service that has decreased to less than 50% of the speed?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@mbond18 

My question is why are you paying £50 a month, are you by chance out of contract?

Rather than being rude have you actually reported your issue using the links supplied earlier, unless you report the issue nothing will happen.

Please be nice to me I'm trying to help.

ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 25

Hi @mbond18 I'm sorry that you're speeds are not what you're expecting. I can see you're on FTTC, however, FTTP is available if you wish to upgrade and have faster speeds. You do have a call package on your account as well which would be the reason why your month bills are around £50.

If you'd like me to look into the speeds you're getting in a bit more detail let me know and I can investigate this further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team