Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very low speed ip profile

msu_global
Hooked

Very low speed ip profile

Hi,

I have been with plusnet for more that 3 years but my internet speed has always been unstable tbh.

I wrote to Plusnet through their email and twitter accounts as I am UNABLE to communicate over phone due to an ongoing health condition (however someone from Plusnet was trying to reach me by phone after I used the HELP text service).

SINCE several days (7-10 days), the download speed has been continuously around 9MB to 24MB although I am on the Unlimited Fibre Extra (with an estimated download speed of 66MB).

I am an experienced network engineer myself so I did all the required tests (including the ones recommended by Plusnet) with the Plusnet Hub directly connected to the master socket.

Please URGENTLY check this from your end in order to rectify this situation.
If you need to communicate with me, please only use texts/emails.

Downstream: 16.49 Mbps
Upstream: 5.127 Mbps

Unlimited Fibre Extra
66Mb
estimated download speed
8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Very low speed ip profile

@msu_global Plusnet staff response on here can be a little slow, so I suggest you try the following:

It sounds very much like you have a problem - most likely not in your home/office environment, but more likely in the BT/OR network.

First thing to check: Is your phoneline clear? Dial 17070 (preferably from a corded phone), select option 2. Once your phone number is confirmed, there should be silence on the line except for the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message - any other noise, report a PHONE problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/

If the phone test passes, report a broadband problem via: https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/broadband/

Let us know the result - if the tests come back as clear but you still have a problem, we need to investigate further.

John
msu_global
Hooked

Thanks John for your kind support!

As I already explained, I tried all the recommended and possible tests. Unfortunately, I don't have a phone in order to check if there is a noise in the line.

I still have a slow connection and hope someone from Plusnet could see my messages and help solving this issue.
jab1
Legend

@msu_global A cheap wired phone handset is a great help in diagnosing problems on an ADSL/FTTC connection. However, if you don't have one, bearing in mind staff response on here is a little slow:

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
msu_global
Hooked

Many thanks again for your time dear John.

I got a reply from Plusnet on twitter, and they confirmed "there is a fault on the phone line which may be impacting on the speed of your connection".
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @msu_global,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and I'm very sorry to hear that you've been experiencing these issues. I've picked up the twitter conversation now and have sent a further message to you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
msu_global
Hooked

Hi @TheMightyAJ
Many thanks for your time.

I am thinking to upgrade to a Full Fibre contract. I think this should be an alternative solution (possibly a quicker and more effective one) as an upgrade from normal broadband to Full Fibre will mean a completely new ip profile + avoiding the faulty line causing issues.

Can you please correct me if I am wrong?
jab1
Legend

@msu_global If you can get Full fibre, this will eliminate a lot of issues, and should guarantee an almost trouble-free service.

Just to note, you will lose your voice service.

John
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for getting back to us @msu_global. I can see you sent a similar message over on Twitter, so I've responded there. If you have any further questions then please don't hesitate to get back in touch and we'll be happy to help Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team