Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband only price changes - June 2013

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Broadband only price changes - June 2013

Quote from: Anotherone
I think you misread the last bit, he was on about the cost of calls to mobiles.

I had hoped to infer that by utilizing VoIP on the data only broadband connection, that incoming calls would cost the caller standard 01/02 landline charges, or less if they also had VoIP.
I was just trying to point out that if you have broadband without a landline for voice calls, then the use of mobile phones for making and receiving calls is NOT the only option available and VoIP is an easy and much cheaper alternative.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As speeds have to be advertised as "Up to" shouldn't all ISPs should be forced to advertise prices in the same way?
So for Plusnet it should be advertising:
Essentials Broadband Up to £17.99 per month, Unlimited Broadband Up to £21.99 per month, Essentials Fibre Up to £25.49 per month, Unlimited Fibre Up to £29.49 per month.
Given my exchange is very unlikely to be anything other than Market 1 - those are the prices I will be using when considering future options and for other suppliers I will also be looking at the long term costs, not just introductory offers.
So how likely is it that I will remain with Plusnet!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

How about including line rental charge with all broadband and phone packages?
Many providers advertise relatively low headline package prices but have higher line rental in the small print.
If a price is subject to taking another service then it's meaningless on its own and should not be advertised as such.
Advertising in this industry is full of inconsistency and misleading headline prices.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

My hope is that the exchange "market" pricing scheme is removed when the BDUK projects have enabled high speed connections in the commercially uneconomic areas.
The supposed competition encouraged by tiered pricing will become irrelevant, as BT will gain an enhanced monopoly reinforced by the money provided by BDUK which will further discourage other equipment providers fitting their kit into those exchanges.
The purpose of "Market 1" pricing will become redundant !
x47c
Grafter

I totally agree with you there
The exchange classification scheme/concept/reasoning has run its course.
FTTC in BDUK areas will kill off LLU totally in due course
Time for OFCOM to draw a halt to it.
The problem is of course what would Plusnet then do with the pricing structure given that the two tiers would have to be harmonized.
1. Raise market 2/3 to align with market 1 prices
2. Lower market 1 prices in line with market 2/3 (shakes head - no silly idea......)
3  Go for some intermediate new pricing/package structure
All complicated by how many they might have on contracts at this mythical time and how many they have on legacy packages etc etc....
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see why it would be a problem for Plusnet.
They have always said that the difference between the low and high cost pricing is approximately the same as the differential charged by BT.
Therefore -
      Plusnet low cost area pricing  =  BT  market 2/3 line charges  +  Plusnet's margin
      Plusnet high cost area pricing  =  BT  market 1 line charge  +  Plusnet's margin

Therefore if the "market pricing" came to an end,  Plusnet pricing would be BT's new line charge + their margin.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

So Plusnet have introduced a "potential" price increase for me:-
I already have unlimited usage on a fast-ish fibre connection.
Why would I want to change the product I'm on?
Seems like an own-goal to me.
BTW I have a BT landline provided by Plusnet's parent company and see no reason to change.
I note that Plusnet line rental is £33 more than BT's line rental - that's £2-75 per month...
So I'm tremendously impressed by the customer service aspects of this "offer".

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Why would I want to change the product I'm on?

When they launch the Plusnet Unlimited Plus product which includes BT Sport?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I might pay a supplement for a promise of no sport clogging up my downloads.  Cheesy
dick:quote

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
BTW I have a BT landline provided by Plusnet's parent company and see no reason to change.
I note that Plusnet line rental is £33 more than BT's line rental - that's £2-75 per month...
Reference please as from the BT and Plusnet websites the basic line rental is 0.95p per month cheaper on Plusnet and the LRS is about £9 per year cheaper
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Is that like for like (i.e. both including Caller ID)?
gswindale
Grafter

It would certainly cost me more to switch my phone line to PN from BT.
BT Line rental £15.45/month.  Includes free evening/weekend calls up to an hour long.  Includes FREE CLI. (I'm on a deal that is no longer available though).
PN Line rental £14.50/month + £1.50 for free evening/weekend calls + £1 for CLI = £17/month.
So that would mean I'd be paying an extra £2.55/month if I switched my phone line from BT to PN.  Alternatively if I change package and pay the extra £2.50 to PN I save 5p/month by leaving my phone with BT.
Whichever way you look at it; there is no incentive for me to switch - especially when switching does not always appear to be as straightforward as it should be.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@Jelv
Nope - it is the basic line rental
Once you start to add other bits it gets more complicated
Caller ID adds 99p to the basic cost but going to anytime and the Plusnet total charge including caller ID is £5.99 and the BT total charge is £7
So for Weekends only the cost is pretty much a wash (Plusnet are 4p per month dearer once caller ID is added)
In my case - as I am on anytime with caller ID added and the reduced line rental saver (which can be renewed at the lower rate) there is no incentive at all to move to BT
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: geofftswin

.  Includes FREE CLI. (I'm on a deal that is no longer available though).

I get my free CLI (BT) via signing up for what was called at the time 'BT Privacy at Home' (ISTR).  AFAIK it's still available although I think the name may have changed slightly.
gswindale
Grafter

Hi,
I think it was more the package that got me the free weekend/evening calls that has vanished rather than the CLI.
Does PN do paper bills for free?