Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011) including new Pro Add-on

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Pro add-on question

At the moment I'm on the Pro account paying around £16.50/month for a 20Gb allowance. I can't seem to find this account on the homepage any longer so perhaps its discontinued. Looking at the Pro add-on if I switch to Plusnet Extra, at £11.49/month and add the Pro add-on at £5/month I would seem to be paying the same amount per month but now for a 60Gb allowance. I'm a fairly heavy usenet user so is the traffic management any different between the old pro account and the new pro add-on. Are there any other differences that make it wothwhile staying with my old account?
Paul
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Pro add-on question

Basically  - No
merged with existing thread in Announcements
paulgul
Rising Star

Re: Pro add-on question

Quote from: Oldjim
merged with existing thread in Announcements

Slightly misleading as the topic heading is fibre products, my question refers to the BT landline service
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

Re: Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011)

Quote from: Vip3r
2mb Upload:
Why is the fact that Plusnet are limiting upload artificially to 2mb not more prominent on the site, 40mb download is plastered everywhere, but I have only found one line about the upload speed after searching for a good 15 minutes.

It's *not* artificially limited. BT Wholesale have different variants of FTTC, the 2Mbps upload flavour is one of these. It costs more at a wholesale level for us to provide 10Mbps upload. Regardless it's something we'll be looking to offer soon anyway.
Quote from: ianh
I note on your Website that Macclesfield and Wilmslow exchanges (in Cheshire) are enabled for fibre (was Wilmslow later? - can't remember). They are both within the 01625 code. I live in Bollington, which is also 01625 (numbers start 57----). There is no indication that Bollington is / will be enabled for fibre. However, walking around, I see Openreach vans, with engineers stuffing long tubes under the pavement. Is this co-incidence, or are we getting fibre eventually, and, if so, do you know when?

Your best bet is to run your telephone number through this.
On the Fibre page at the bottom in the legal bit there is this:
Pricing - Existing customers
Plusnet Value Fibre and Extra Fibre: Costs from £10 extra a month on top of your usual subscription charge.

the word from (my emphasis) in there seems to indicate that there are cases where it will cost more than an extra £10, is that the case if so when is it more and how much more?

We still have some customers paying £5.99/month for Value. There are also a handful paying £10.79/month. For these guys it's going to cost a little more than an extra £10.
Quote from: Oldjim
The trial is already closed for new applicants http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,87700.msg800567.html#msg800567

To clarify, the FTTC trial is only closed for residential customers. It is still available to those on business products. The FTTP trials are still open to both residential and business customers.
Quote from: paulgul
At the moment I'm on the Pro account paying around £16.50/month for a 20Gb allowance. I can't seem to find this account on the homepage any longer so perhaps its discontinued.

Yes it is.
Looking at the Pro add-on if I switch to Plusnet Extra, at £11.49/month and add the Pro add-on at £5/month I would seem to be paying the same amount per month but now for a 60Gb allowance. I'm a fairly heavy usenet user so is the traffic management any different between the old pro account and the new pro add-on. Are there any other differences that make it wothwhile staying with my old account?

There's subtle differences in what's in the Gold/Titanium queues but from a user-experience perspective I would be hugely surprised if you noticed.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob

There's subtle differences in what's in the Gold/Titanium queues but from a user-experience perspective I would be hugely surprised if you noticed.

My billing date is around 3 days time, can someone arrange a change over from here or is it best to go through the proper route
paulgul
Rising Star

is it best to go through the proper route

I'm confused, just tried changing my product to PN extra plus the pro add-on, got to the end where the page asks you click to confirm the change but there's no option to add the add-on, or did I miss it?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011) including new Pro Add-on

I hit the same issue. Apparently the Pro add-on is immediate with a pro-rata charge if you change mid-month. So order the upgrade to extra and then on your billing date when the account switch has happened you will be able to add Pro (at least that's what I've been advised to do).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Vip3r
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
2mb Upload:
Why is the fact that Plusnet are limiting upload artificially to 2mb not more prominent on the site, 40mb download is plastered everywhere, but I have only found one line about the upload speed after searching for a good 15 minutes.

It's *not* artificially limited. BT Wholesale have different variants of FTTC, the 2Mbps upload flavour is one of these. It costs more at a wholesale level for us to provide 10Mbps upload. Regardless it's something we'll be looking to offer soon anyway.

Hi Bob, I don't have a problem with the fact that you have decided to start the launch with the 2Mbps upload (Well I do, but that wasn't the point of the post), but rather the fact that its not easy to find that you have decided to start with the 2Mbps upload - and so for somebody (not me) who was looking at different providers it makes it difficult to compare.
The link you provided has lots of information, thank you. But how are visitors to the main site supposed to find it? all the faq links on the product page (http://www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/) go to a different page (http://www.plus.net/residential/faqs.shtml).
paulgul
Rising Star

Re: Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011) including new Pro Add-on

Thanks, I just assumed you could order the two together, I'll give it a try  Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm on a market 1 exchange currently paying £18.99 for 15GB PAYG (same speeds as the old Pro). Paying £22.99 (an extra £4) for an extra 5GB to upgrade to the old Pro wasn't very enticing. For anyone on the 15GB PAYG special it only made sense to swap if you were consistently going over 15GB or were not on a market 1 exchange.
Now, for exactly the same price (£22.99) I can have a the same prioritised speeds with a 60GB allowance. Plus I get the introductory price for the first three months.
Now let me think...
Edit: Actually I didn't think for very long!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Bojangles
Grafter

Just ordered Value Fibre :D. Waiting to be contacted about the installation, am I right in thinking that this will be by phone?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

By clicking on this Link by fletch as described Here  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,90217.msg801255.html#msg801255
Then clicking on "What Is prioritised traffic" The link does not work for me, See screeny below
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Mand
Grafter

Yeah, I raised a bug on that yesterday.
Should go out tomorrow.
Will link here.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Also needs to not be "traffic management guide guide"
mikeyriot
Grafter

so i just added the pro add-on to my account, am I right in thinking the change is immediate?