Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

These forums

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: These forums

They may want a 'quick answer', @Dan_the_Van , but sometimes we need to know what the question really is.

BTW, we appear to be drifting away from my original post. 😉

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

Not agreeing with you doesn't mean I'm drifting off topic.
I tend not to imagine stuff about something is that not important to me.
I help where I can now, if I don't get a reply that's their loss
jab1
Legend

Fair enough, @Dan_the_Van . I did put a 'wink' at the end of that post.So I'm 'imagining' the lack of staff support (and some of the 'answers' they provide)?

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 88

@Dan_the_Van wrote:

we're only really filling in the large gaps in Plusnet crumbling support model.

I said this 

jab1
Legend

You did.

John
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@jab1 wrote:

I can't remember, but I thought, on here at least, notifications are on by default, and I know, if I contribute to a topic, there is a big red notification over my avatar of any replies.

They are certainly on for this thread 😃 Most bulletin boards send one notification for a reply until you next visit. Not this one, i've come back to a Mailwasher screen full of them.

jab1
Legend

I forgot the email notifications, as I have them turned off. However, as I always have the forum open on the laptop, and refresh it on a regular basis when on it, the notifications appear on my avatar. I then check the unread ones, and respond if needed.

John
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

@Marksfish wrote:

@jab1 wrote:

I can't remember, but I thought, on here at least, notifications are on by default, and I know, if I contribute to a topic, there is a big red notification over my avatar of any replies.

They are certainly on for this thread 😃 Most bulletin boards send one notification for a reply until you next visit. Not this one, i've come back to a Mailwasher screen full of them.

Careful there, don't be relying on that system as even that's broken!

It only goes up to 99 notifications and then it stops as it can't display more than 99 in the red dot.

Yes.. I actually tested it lol.. had to ignore a whole load of notifications to discover it too.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jab1
Legend

Fair enough @7up , but I query your 'it can't display more than 99 notifications' comment - we had a situation where it displayed 101 where there were in fact none last year.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Unfortunately we have a support space being run by fashion not function.

People want help but are not prepared to seek self-help. It’s a sign of modern times, expecting everything to be spoon fed through social media.

Forum environments can create venerable repositories or valuable REUSABLE information. I obtain most of my Excel “how to do” answers through searching for answers, rather than asking the question anew. There has been a great deal of discussion with the PN team on the merits of making this space the lead point of contact for support.

Sadly the fashion has been to focus on social media, because that’s what folk who cannot be bothered to return to … seeking instant non-contributory gratification. That in itself is anti social - taking out more than they put in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Totally agree with you @Townman . 'Social' media, by its very 'compartmentalised' nature is totally unsuitable as a support function, whereas a properly organised forum is, as you say, an  extremely useful source.

I too use a search engine if I need information, only reverting to forums such as this if I honestly can't find what I am looking for after extensive searching - usually not required though.

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14

I remember when you needed info on a subject it was a round trip to the local, or not, public library.

A trip that could take several hours if you got carried away with your research...........

catshill1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I read posts here in date order and go back until I’ve caught up since my last visit. Unfortunately unlike other forums I use, I can’t view these by thread/subject only by individual posts which means more work.

jab1
Legend

@catshill1 - Do you make use of the 'Unread Topics/Unread Posts' links at the foot of the page?

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14