cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does uploading pictures or indeed any files seem to be so slow and difficult

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Why does uploading pictures or indeed any files seem to be so slow and difficult

Lets try again
Edit: That only took 33 seconds (my upload sync is 832 kbps)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why does uploading pictures or indeed any files seem to be so slow and difficult

Quote from: PlusComUK
This has been going on for at least as long as I have been a member.
My get around is to right click on the forum title at the top of the page, which then opens in a new tab, and shows me when the post, with image has arrived.
I've had spinning balls !! for hours some times, when the post had arrived after just a few seconds.

I know I've posted before on this, here is what my search has thrown up...
(I think they are all relevant, apologies if not)

Found this old thread from January 2013
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111081.0.html

One from oldjim  February 2012
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102870.msg892876.html#msg892876

And another October 2012
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108694.msg928861.html#msg928861
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Has anyone tried editing their hosts file so that community.plus.net always resolves to only one of 212.159.8.110 or 212.159.9.110.
The upload timeout issue could be related to whatever is broken about Plusnet's network setup that causes this: https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,117757.0.html
shalom2010
Grafter

Just uploaded a picture and got this message below after two minutes - searched the forum & my picture was in the thread!!
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

Whenever I use the image tags and hit preview its the preview that takes forever to return anything. Very annoying.
As for attachments, I can't comment as I've never tried it (I did once years ago but it was ****).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

image tags are usually slow if the server is slow to respond
This one previews almost immediately
This is the image link if you want to try
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02741/bains_2741684f.jpg
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
.telegraph.co.uk

Ah.. that explains a few things..  Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Regardless of where the link came from - does it work quickly on preview or not
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you have already viewed the image from it's source and then use image tags to embed it in the post, when you use preview it will almost certainly be in the cache so it will be quick. The times it will be slow is if the source has set the web page to inhibit the contents being cached.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As my browser is set to clear the cache on closing that isn't a factor and just checking it loading on preview is  almost instantaneous
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
If you have already viewed the image from it's source and then use image tags to embed it in the post, when you use preview it will almost certainly be in the cache so it will be quick. The times it will be slow is if the source has set the web page to inhibit the contents being cached.

This OJ, this.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you can't be bothered to check the link I gave or provide an example of an image which gives the problem then we can't help
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Testing...
Typical - near instant.
Only get delays when trying to post something important. 😕
Attachment uploaded, browser window thinks it's still uploading (see second attachment - if successful :/)
Nearly 10 15 30 minutes now and original browser tab for first attachment still 'Connecting..' and 'Waiting for community.plus.net' but second upload clearly succeeded - no timeout yet.  Second attachment (while first tab still 'stuck') returned to topic correctly and reasonably promptly.
I'm currently using my work (BT Business) connection so this is not specific to Plusnet lines in any way.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
w23
Pro

another test [edit] (IE8 this time) no problems on this one.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
w23
Pro

And trying one with Google Chrome...
Uploaded OK (slow-ish) but got the second attachment for my trouble (that attachment uploaded on IE8).
Call me 'w23'