cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metronet - all email folders suddenly cleared down this morning

pwberry
Dabbler

Metronet - all email folders suddenly cleared down this morning

Sometime between 9 and 9:20 - while I was working,  the contents of all email folders have disappeared.   Absolutely everything.  Checked on webmail - all gone.   Emails are still arriving,  into an otherwise empty mailbox. 
Any idea what's happening?

3 REPLIES 3
pwberry
Dabbler

Re: Metronet - all email folders suddenly cleared down this morning

Spoke to PN.  Apparently a known issue,  but can't tell me more because I can't get past security,  and I can't get into the Metronet member centre to reset security info as the password recovery page does not work.  *Sigh*. 
The young lady was helpful, apologetic,  and suggested I get a new email address.  I've used the metronet one as my primary email address for about a quarter of a century and it's wrapped up in everything,  this is going to be an utter, utter nightmare.  Should have done it,  of course,  after the great Plusnet email fiasco of recent times.  Luckily I can recover most of the history from local copies.
All the old stuff which Plusnet have taken over is apparently sitting on unsupported servers,  and there's an issue where stuff just disappears,  end of.  
It's on this forum somewhere but I can't find it - any pointers appreciated.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Metronet mailboxes are not archived when full, so the fact that the mailbox is now empty seems odd, as does the "its a known issue" response from support.  Have ALL folder contents, including SENT ITEMS been emptied?

@Gandalf - this is legacy space, though no longer your space, is there any assistance / guidance you can offer here please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 14

Depending on the mail client you use, hopefully you will be able to save all the old messages.

Generally there is some sort of "export" feature.

I might do this with the computer disconnected from the Internet (just in case).

Once exported, the problem becomes importing them again.

One of the "mainstream" email providers would be a reasonable choice (Outlook.com, GMail etc.)

Make a new account then import all the old emails and leave the local copy to sync with the email provider.

I've had reasonable luck doing this in the past. 

I am the satisfied customer....