cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Microsoft Outlook

Ness1
Hooked

Re: New Microsoft Outlook

I came across the same problem and ended up using POP email settings which works, even though imap is preferred it’s just not compatible with Plusnet
catshill1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I would also recommend imap but if you have to use pop3, and need access with multiple devices then in advanced account settings ensure that the leave on server option is ticked. I’d set 30 days to give you time to access your emails from other devices.

If IMAP isn’t downloading, then I would check the port numbers required are correct.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

I've just tried the new Outlook and it worked fine.

When setting up the account for Plusnet , you need to:-

--------------------------------------

Enter the email address ( note that if using a secondary mailbox , its the mailbox password not the main account one!)

Select IMAP as the email provider

Enter your password

Use the slider to disable 'Use recommended settings'

Change the incoming server to imap.plus.net

Change the outgoing server to relay.plus.net

Change the connection type for the outgoing server to StartTLS

---------------------------------------

That should work ...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

I'm still not going to give it disk room. 😉

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Neither am I John!.

Ah! I think I see the problem people are having.

If you're trying to setup the default account i.e <accountname>.plus.com then it doesnt seem to be possible

In this case the email address is effectively anything@<account>.plus.com BUT the username is <accountname>

Outlook insists on a valid email address for the account i.e something@<account>.plus.com BUT then does not give any option to set the username, rather it insists on using that as the username , which will not work!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Shabby client software presuming that a user name is the same as the email address. It ain’t necessarily so!

LizMac42
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Mr W - you are the first one I have come across that's had success but what is the Mail Box Password - I've never heard of it - Did we set one or does this belong to Plusnet?  Please tell us.   Its driving me up the wall!!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@LizMac42 your PLusnet account has a default mailbox , usually named <accountname>@<accountname>.plus.com. The password for that mailbox is your account password.

In addition you can create additional mailboxes of the form <name>@<accountname>.plus.com. When you create these additional mailboxes you specify a different password for each mailbox. That is the Mail Box password I refer to.

fidget
Dabbler

What version of Outlook are you using as I refer to 'New Outlook' subscription free version that users of windows mail were forced to switch too. This is also shipped with windows 11. I never got this to work with my Plusnet account.