cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Outlook replacing Windows mail setup

fidget
Dabbler

New Outlook replacing Windows mail setup

Now that MS has announced that it will be replacing Windows Mail with New outlook and that this will be usable with multiple accounts. I'm looking for setup guidance for this as whilst it works just fine with my Hotmail account I have been unable to set up my Plusnet mail. The only option offered seems to be IMAP and starts by asking for my IMAP password which I presume is Plusnet log in one but it didn't like that and my attempt at advanced setup also failed. Any guidance please. 

9 REPLIES 9
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: New Outlook replacing Windows mail setup

Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Moderator's note: Thread moved from Broadband to Email.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

On my Windows mail I get a message in the top right corner -" Try the new Outlook " and if I hover over it a further message appears "Currently available for Microsoft and Gmail accounts only" which suggests that email services provided by other parties will not yet work on the new Oulook app.

fidget
Dabbler

yes I see that but to avoid screwing up my windows mail I was able to download the New Outlook from the Windows Store on to a spare PC. This set up just fine with my existing Hotmail account but when I wanted to add my Plusnet email account the only option given was an IMAP setup which asked for my IMAP password which I assumed was the Plusnet user password, the only one I have ever used. That's when it all failed.

fidget
Dabbler

"Currently available for Microsoft and Gmail accounts only"

OK just seen that but there is an IMAP option

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Personally I would leave that application well alone and get a decent email client.

Win mail was never very good; the new version looks better, however the early versions did not support IMAP mail services.  I have just double checked and it would appear that IMAP mail boxes "need to sync to outlook.com" ... personally I do not want any third party harvesting my Plusnet emails.  I want to be in control of what is happening.

If you do not want to pay for proper Outlook as contained in Office365 then Thunderbird is a reasonable free email client.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

harshu

Thanks Townman

I've just tried the 'New Outlook' Getting started with the new Outlook for Windows - Microsoft Support (as Microsoft call it, to replace the current Mail & Calendar app by end of 2024). The fundamental problem is that there is no option to input the IMAP user name for each PN mailbox and that is fundamental to how PN mailboxes work. This field is available on the current MS Mail & Calendar app, full fat Outlook, Outlook on Android  (and most other email clients I've used)...just not on this new outlook version

So, can you please ask the the boffins at PN tell us how we're supposed to configure this 'New Outlook' client because How to set up Plusnet email | Help | Plusnet does not cover this version of Outlook, it's only referring full fat outlook within MS Office/365. It's obviously going to become a major problem for PN email users when MS finally force us off the existing email client. A bit of proactivity would be appreciated by PN to head this issue off at the pass.....or get PN to talk to MS and get that IMSP User Name field added...or whatever is needed to resolve this. Whilst Thunderbird is potentially an alternative, it would be more useful to be able to use what comes out of the MS box with Win 10 & 11.

Cheers

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@harshu 

See my post #4 above. This message is still displayed (top right) re the New Outlook and so until (or if) MS open up the new app to other mail services you might be out of luck.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

@harshu

You might as well ask Microsoft what are they going to do to make their product compatible with the standard IMAP email interface settings … as used by many other mail providers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.