Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Help to unarchive and free my mailbox

PatNunn
Dabbler

Hi Will

I cannot send or receive any emails. I periodically get the warning email and I thought I had cleared out enough... The last email received was Wed 4th Sept, 7:49 am but I've been sending test emails since and nothing is being sent or received and I use these for work purposes so a little concerned. Can you investigate? I just logged into the webmail online and the last email received was Wed, 7:49 am.

8 REPLIES 8
PatNunn
Dabbler

I was trying to edit my post and now the option has disappeared. I checked on squirrel mail and sent a test email from there to myself. It shows on squirrel mail that it was sent but nothing is being received since Wed 4th Sept, 7:49 am. Why is that?

PatNunn
Dabbler

@willcutforth 

Ok - now I see the problem. Despite Plusnet assuring me that I do not need to do anything as my domains will be renewed, it hasn't! I just checked. On the domain page, it states:

"Renewing your domain

patricknunn.com due to expire on 2024-09-03"

That's the reason no emails have arrived since using my domain name as part of the email address. This is really terrible news. Now what? I'm trying to move my domain over to a new host.

Please help. My business relies on this.

Moderator's note:   Will flagged as the topic has been moved to its own thread due to it not being an archive problem
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 166

Which email brand? Is the mailbox full? Some of the brands have a hard limit of 250MB.

Has the domain name expired?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@PatNunn 

Why do you think that Plusnet are responsible for maintaining the registration of your domain?  Was it previously with JustTheName?

This .com domain name is currently registered with WWW.ENOMDOMAINS.COM and it uses their DNS servers DNSn.NAME-SERVICES.COM

The domain does not appear to have an MX record so its difficult to understand how it previously routed email at all.

The website has no content / the content there is blocked.  If this was working, then it looks as though the registrar EnomDomains has parked everything, without advising anyone of the action.

I have escalated this for Plusnet review ... it seems odd that a registrar should not allow a grace period here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

One of the other SU’s found this useful piece of information - https://serverfault.com/questions/810952/relation-between-registrar-registration-expiration-date-and...

That implies that the registrar should automatically renew the .com domain name WITHOUT intervention from the registrant (Plusnet ?). That SU also observed that the ICANN database reports the domain name as renewed … but the name servers / DNS addresses are not Plusnet’s.

I’m hoping the escalation will be informative.

PatNunn
Dabbler

Thanks for the information. I also managed to trace it back to ENOMDOMAINS which I followed to their website and where it states the following:

Registered with one of our resellers

Please contact our reseller for assistance. Here's how to reach them:

Provider Information:

PlusNet plc
The Balance
Sheffield , GB
+44.1142200000

So, I've written to the email address at PlusNet plc.

You asked me "Why do you think that Plusnet are responsible for maintaining the registration of your domain?  Was it previously with JustTheName?". I'm not a computer expert but I was a customer with Plusnet for many many years until I moved abroad. They agreed to keep hosting my websites and email accounts. Every so often I get the "Time to renew your domain" email and every time I contact Plusnet, they inform me to do nothing as it will automatically renew. This has happened for years. Until now..... So when you ask me if Plusnet are responsible for maintaining the registration of your domain, I would say YES. They have never told me that I should contact anybody else.

If the email account associated hasn't worked since the 4th September and the website is indeed gone, then I assumed they just "parked it" as you said. Why I was told to do nothing is beyond me. This is my professional website and email account (which I'm now trying to move to another host).

I don't really understand what is happening fully but I was certainly not expecting to be left high and dry like this.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

As a super user, I have escalated this - industry practice for .com domains appears confusing.  Reference material found by another SU suggests that registrants (resellers) need do nothing to renew a domain as it should be automatic, whereas the registrar appears to have taken action to suspend the domain routing, ignoring the auto-renewal expectations.

Looking at the ICANN listing (which seems more up to date than that at Tucows), the domain is not expired, but the name servers are not pointing towards Plusnet.

• Registry Domain ID: 76805824_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
  • Domain Status:

clientTransferProhibited

• Nameservers:

DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM

DNS2.NAME-SERVICES.COM

DNS3.NAME-SERVICES.COM

DNS4.NAME-SERVICES.COM

DNS5.NAME-SERVICES.COM

Dates

• Registry Expiration: 2025-09-03 15:10:05 UTC
  • Updated: 2024-09-04 07:18:24 UTC
  • Created: 2001-09-03 15:10:05 UTC

PatNunn
Dabbler

Thank you Townman. This is very helpful. I'll wait for someone to come back to me. Hope they don't use the defunct email address - I won't get it. The postmaster one works though