Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Outgoing Mail Failure After Password Changed

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

Re: SMTP Outgoing Mail Failure After Password Changed

I've raised another task just to see if there's anything in the background that's stopping it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
DLeiper
Dabbler

Thanks @willcutforth 

@Townman sorry I didn't reply to some of your questions yesterday:

So to be clear - you log into webmail and can send without issue? Yes

You configure on an email client and you can receive but not send? Correct

SMTP is set as server relay.plus.net port 587 encryption STARTTLS: Yes, although TLS, not STARTTLS (there isn't that option)

Authentication required - use the same as the inbound server? Yes

Which client / environment are we looking at please? Two - Outlook 2010 and Email app on 2 android phones, all of which worked previously.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

@DLeiper wrote:

SMTP is set as server relay.plus.net port 587 encryption STARTTLS: Yes, although TLS, not STARTTLS (there isn't that option)

Email app on 2 android phones, all of which worked previously.

Ah!!  There is part of the answer - port 587 does not operate with TLS encryption - it must be STARTTLS or none at all.  That said the SMTP test goes no where near encryption settings!

Either use...

• port 465 (which is deprecated) with TLS/SSL
  • port 587 with no encryption

Also Outlook 2010 ... I have a vague recollection that some where along the way with older versions of Outlook, encryption does not work.  Cannot recall if that is 2007 or 2010!

I would however expect the Android devices (being modern) to support STARTTLS on port 587 with the current encryption versions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

... OK out of the box thinking ... there is another factor to consider - your (third-party) IP address!

Is there a VPN involved here?

Are you in the UK?

Will the android devices (phones?) connect to the SMTP server over 4G mobile?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DLeiper
Dabbler

Thanks for the info @Townman. I feel have tried almost every setting permutation, but no joy. I did have it set as 587, no encryption, which used to work, but that doesn't work now either.
Interestingly, I also thought android (version 12) would be more up to date but was surprised to find it didn't offer starttls !

I have advised plusnet my IP address, but had no feedback on that it is causing an issue.

I don't think I have VPN, but not sure how I check ?

Yes I'm in the UK.

No, the android devices won't connect to the smtp server over 4G (although they do receive).

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If you had a VPN, you would know about it.

There remains something odd here - either the SMTP server is blocked for your IP or there is something odd about your account's sign in for a direct connection, which does not impact Webmail.

@bobpullen - any suggestions please?

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

So I've had it confirmed "User is on a free account and therefore cannot use our SMTP server, user will need to use an alternative SMTP server"

That was from the back end team.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
DLeiper
Dabbler

Thankyou for the explanation. However, I am confused, as I thought since I left Plusnet with that username over 10 years ago, I could still use your SMTP server ? Can you please clarify.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It seems like it should never have worked but for some reason you were able to. What I would do is use your ISP's outgoing server and it should work.

Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@willcutforth 

"I hear what is being said here" but in the past, free receive only email accounts have not been able to send emails via webmail - this one can, so something remains odd against the assertion made.

• This account used to be able to send from the customer's own clients via Plusnet's SMTP server
  • This ability appeared to change (cease) after a password reset
  • A password reset ought not to change the account's privileges
  • When the business sought to implement SPF in 2018 ALL free email only accounts were modified to use the SMTP server

See https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/How-to-change-your-outgoing-server-on-a-mail-client/m-p/1606155#...

"We're about to make changes to our e-mail platform which means you may need to update your outgoing mail server in any e-mail clients that you use."

Looking for history on this subject - see

This account has existed as a free account prior to the enforced necessity to use Plusnet's SMTP servers and the end of charges for having that option on a legacy email account.

It would therefore seem fair to contend that if this account now appears to be a receive mail only free account, some thing is broken - either before the changes referenced above or after the password change.

DLeiper
Dabbler

Hi @willcutforth and @Townman,

Thanks for your ongoing support.

So I have been in touch with ISP and they have advised "we do not offer email addresses to customers and this is something we cannot support at this time". When I transferred from Plusnet to Shell, my email had been working fine and continued to do so for a few months until the security breach and me then having to change my password.

I appreciate your comprehensive response @Townman and conclusion that something is broke. 

@willcutforth my understanding is that as I left that username several years ago, before the change in policy, I should still be able to send emails. It would be helpful if you could advise if my understanding is wrong and if so the date the policy changed and the date you think I left. Or better still, re-instate my account to send.

Thanks.