Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IPs and PBL

FIXED
kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Static IPs and PBL

I have a static IP, but it gets listed on the Spamhaus PBL periodically. I have just had to remove it for the second time.

Since PN is reducing its support for e-mail in-house, it makes sense to allow customers with the knowledge and static IPs to run their own servers, but it does not make sense to include their IPs in the PBL in that case.

Would it be possible to ensure static IPs are not listed?

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Re: Static IPs and PBL

You may run your own email server, but SMTP must be smart relayed via Plusnet's SMTP server.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro

But if I do that DKIM won't match my domains and mail will be rejected.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Fix

@kjpetrie any DKIM signing will be untouched by Smart relay. You will need to add the Plusnet relays to your SPF record though.

Add 'include  _spf-internal.plus.net' and 'include _spf-internal2.plus.net'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro

You're right! I can use the relay without upsetting DKIM or DMARC. Well, I suppose that will do until PN decide not to provide SMTP relaying any more, at which point perhaps they'll delist the static IPs. I already have the necessary SPF entries as I only stopped relaying when I had to introduce DKIM to get mail accepted by Outlook and Google and needed to set up my own outward servers to get the right signatures on my domains. I didn't realise they could still be relayed.