Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring plusnet email address to another plusnet account

Ed77
Hooked

Transferring plusnet email address to another plusnet account

Hiya pals,

I hope you can help with some advice please. 

I currently have a few email inboxes with Plusnet.

One of which I setup a long time ago for my elderly parents. They have since become Plusnet customers anyway but with a different account name of course. Is there any way of transferring the email address that they kind of depend on from my account to theirs? It'd be a massive task for them to suddenly update people and businesses with a new email address seeing as they've had one for such a long time. 

Thanks in advance! 

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Re: Transferring plusnet email address to another plusnet account

New (well new since sometime early in 2022) Plusnet broadband accounts do not have access to email services.

Even if they did, existing mailboxes / addresses cannot be transferred between accounts, as the email addresses were account specific...

For example dad@youraccount.plus.com would be an entirely different email address to dad@dadaccount.plu.com requiring exactly what you seek to avoid.  So long as you remain with Plusnet, your parents can continue to use their existing mailbox.

That said, you would be wise to plan a long term strategy to move away from a supplier's native domain name for an email address.  Such leaves you tied to that supplier and at risk to the consequences of a decision to change supplier ... or indeed for the supplier to change their branding, as in for example googlemail.com to gmail.com

Consider getting your own domain name and host it on a mail provider of your choice, then the whole family could operate under the same "umbrella" independent of the supplier or its whims.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ed77
Hooked

Ah, that's a shame it can't be done. Thanks for the reply. 

Mav
Fixes: 517

You could set up a Gmail account for your parents then have email sent to them through your Plusnet email to their Gmail account using the Redirect from Manage My Mail.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Try https://www.plus.net/manage_my_mail

It looks to be the same, but this is the "directing" URL from the previous navigation page's (Manage My account) link, not the "landing" page's (after navigation) URL.  They are not the same.

That said, if you are going to consider setting up a new email service for your parents, I would NOT go to Gmail.  There is a host of new "make it difficult to use Gmail outside of Google's way of working" barriers coming this way soon.

Look towards having a free standing email provider who is not intent of scouring your emails to work out what advertising material to point in your direction.  You could do much worse than to look at Mythic Beasts ... and you'd find few who are better for the price.

A new mail service independent of any ISP and then to redirect the existing mailbox address to the new service is very much the way to go.  Note that changing an existing MAILBOX to a redirection email ADDRESS requires a degree of technical dexterity to FIRST MOVE the CONTENTS of the EXISTING MAILBOX to the new mailbox, BEFORE deleting the existing MAILBOX ADDRESS in order to create a REDIRECTION ADDRESS.

It is not possible to redirect a mailbox.  An ADDRESS can be one or the other, no both on Plusnet's email platform.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav
Fixes: 517

@greygit1 wrote:

Out of curiosity I tried that URL  - https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=configure2&do=showRedirects&my=EfEcq6QIwQOvA%2BKKxcHT1g%3D%3D

Response code 403

That link works if you are logged in to the Plusnet Portal. Sorry, should have made that clear.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still