Did you mean: 

Tring but failing to add CNAME DNS records to Plusnet DNS hosted domains

FIXED
TimDSMoss
Grafter

Tring but failing to add CNAME DNS records to Plusnet DNS hosted domains

I have 2 custom domains with Plusnet as the registrar and nameserver

My email routes through (via MX record configuration) to a Microsoft 365 tenant

I can't configure the recommended SPF records - since Plusnet DNS system doesn't support TXT records (???? [-Censored-])

In the last few days emails sent to Gmail addresses have started bouncing

the bounce error message suggests

- configuring SPF - hmm no can do - can't create TXT records 😩

or

- configuring DKIM

lots of lovely documentation from Microsoft on how to do this; involves adding some CNAME records in Plusnet DNS

Awesome I though! I can do that

HaHa!

the left field of the required CNAME records are:

selector1._domainkey

and

selector2._domainkey

well guess what ...

Plusnet's DNS system doesn't allow the "_" (underscore) or "." (dot) in the left hand field of a CNAME

whatever they are using as DNS server is 40 years out of date, non-compliant with any standards produced after the late 1980s and ultimately losing trust and goodwill of customers, or losing customers entirely

I'm really curious:

What is this weird system being used that can't even support baic TXT and CNAME records?

was it implemented in COBAL or FORTRAN in the 50's and nobody can change or upgrade it?

given it's limitations is it at all secure?

Anyways,

despite all the above, having been a PlusNet customer for around 25 years - I'm loathe to leave and go elsewhere for something seemingly so trivial.

Hopefully there's a workaround?

Even if I can't myself add the required CNAME records via the web interface

-  is there a way that someone in tech support can do it for me if I send them the relevant left and right hand field vales?

11 REPLIES 11
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: Tring but failing to add CNAME DNS records to Plusnet DNS hosted domains

whatever they are using as DNS server is 40 years out of date, non-compliant with any standards produced after the late 1980s and ultimately losing trust and goodwill of customers, or losing customers entirely

@TimDSMoss 

TBH 99.99% customers of mainstream ISPs wouldnt know what domain hosting was if it bit them!

the DNS servers themselves are current, the problem is the user interface to the DNS control panel. Domain hosting is a legacy facility and as such the domain control panel was implemented a long time ago. Domain hosting hasnt been offered to new customers for many years and so changes to the user control panel are unlikely.

As you guess, the DNS servers themselves obviously will support TXT records but I'm afraid they are administered by the NetOPS dept who are not customer facing. Tech support have a facility to make certain requests e.g rDNS configuration for static IP's to NetOPS but have no mechanism to make more general requests.

In reality you probably need to consider moving your domain registration to a different hosting provider.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

It does indeed beg the question if end services are hosted elsewhere ... why did you leave the domain registration and nameservers with Plusnet?  Was it to avoid the £12 two-year renewal fees?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TimDSMoss
Grafter

@MisterW thanks for the reply

I'd heard differently from a support request some time ago - i.e. that the DNS servers really do not support TXT records

- requests to support have in the past resulted in change snot possible in the user control panel being implemented, but never TX records, hence my belief that they *really* are not possible

Fully appreciate that domain hosting is a legacy offering

Wanted to ascertain whether the same was true of CNAME records with "_" underscore or "." dot characters

is it possible? assuming a support request can reach the relevant willing person

or just not possible at all  - in which case as you say I'll need to transfer DNS zones (and likely registration) elsewhere

TimDSMoss
Grafter

In my mind, your reply does indeed beg the question "why waste your time posting an unhelpful, judgemental, snarky comment"?

but in answer to your irrelevant question:

There were a number of reasons:

- I left registration and nameservers with PlusNet because I merely wanted to "try out" having email for one of my two domains route to a service elsewhere.

- I wanted to be able to easily revert back should I want to

- Web hosting for 2 domains, FTP service for 2 domains and email for 1 domain stayed hosted at PlusNet

- at the time I was paying PlusNet ~£145 every 2 years for the two domains but didn't want the hassle, downtime, and potential issues involved moving them

- later PlusNet made domain registration/hosting free - but why would go through the hassle, downtime, and potential issues of moving them, and end up paying for them - even if only £24 per 2 years?  kind of a no-brainer??? (until of course limitations of what PlusNet offer kick in and make moving inevitable)

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 317

Fix

It's not going to be possible, either TXT or CNAME (if like you say, the control system doesn't allow the latter).

The DNS servers themselves will of course support it, but there's no route to creating records manually I'm afraid.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

TimDSMoss
Grafter

Thanks @bobpullen  - that's all I needed to know

- no point bothering Support wasting their time and mine for something that's not possible

It seems that recently (since the weekend) Gmail has started bouncing emails that do not have one of SPF or DKIM configured.

- others will follow, and unfortunately that makes up quite a number of my contacts

I'll likely have to transfer domain registration and nameservers elsewhere

- and it seems, with the absence of either TXT records (for SPF) or specifically named CNAME records (for DKIM)

so will anyone else regardless of whether their email service is hosted by PlusNet or not

For PlusNet themselves - not a bad thing - will help them wind up and close down these legacy services as more ad more uses leave them

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Google have been at that game for a while now. There's a bunch of chatter on this very forum about how it's affected customers sending email via our relays using their Plusnet hosted domains. We've a workaround for that; just not one that would help in your scenario.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

TimDSMoss
Grafter

Thanks Bob

I'll have a search for those threads just in case

If you have the chance perhaps add a link or two below for anyone in future ends up on this one

TimDSMoss
Grafter

This sounds like the solution if email service is hosted by PlusNet

Fixed: Re: Cannot send to gmail addresses - Plusnet Community

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's the one. Thanks @TimDSMoss 👍

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

This sounds like the solution if email service is hosted by PlusNet

Fixed: Re: Cannot send to gmail addresses - Plusnet Community

@TimDSMoss that workaround will work as long as you send mail via the Plusnet servers ( relay.plus.net ), You can still receive mail elsewhere i.e by specifying MX records.