Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using domain names with PlusNet mail

Boxersoft
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Using domain names with PlusNet mail

@Townman wrote:
MB offered great value for money. It is functionally rich having all the functionality of the Plusnet service and more besides.

I'm certainly satisfied, and SPF/DKIM are nice to have. I don't think I had either with my previous arrangement, but I gather Gmail now require one of them and as far as I know I wasn't having trouble sending to gmail addresses. Bit baffled about that.

I've also noticed that although an SPF header appears in mails sent out from my domains to other addresses, it doesn't appear in mails sent from one of my addresses to another within my Mythic account. Just mildly curious: is it skipped because it's all staying within Mythic's servers, or because it's specifically between addresses in my Mythic account?

The status of the Plusnet service has now been clarified - personally I am sitting tight - the (main brand) service provides everything I really need, it’s free and is not going anywhere. 

Good to hear it's staying, despite the regular scare stories, although if it's not really being supported (things like managing associated domains & forwarderd) it's a bit of a dead-end for me. I keep most of my mails going back years so The 1GB storage limit has sometimes been a bit of a nuisance, and I find the webmail almost unusable (perhaps also related to mailbox size). Both of these are much improved with Mythic, but PlusNet's mail has mostly done me very well for what must be 20 years or so.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

I've also noticed that although an SPF header appears in mails sent out from my domains to other addresses, it doesn't appear in mails sent from one of my addresses to another within my Mythic account. Just mildly curious: is it skipped because it's all staying within Mythic's servers, or because it's specifically between addresses in my Mythic account?

SPF doesnt generate a header as such. The incoming mail server generates the header when it checks the mail, I suspect that, since the mail is within the same mythic server, there is no check for SPF.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

@Boxersoft wrote:

Good to hear it's staying, despite the regular scare stories, ...

For total clarity:-

Email service future.

The following is Plusnet's official position on the future of email as of 12th December 2023

"There has been some speculation about the future of the Plusnet email service on some community threads recently. We have not announced any changes. If any changes are made, Plusnet email customers will be the first to know, along with our contact centre advisors."

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.