Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dissappearing topics?

FIXED
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

Re: Dissappearing topics?

But it is not 'Plusnet' in control any more, rather BT Consumer Division.

John
jab1
Legend

Less than 300k now - check back tomorrow for a zero reading. 😡

John
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 17

The number of "Fixed problems" is now falling too. The number of Topics has fallen by over 20,000 today so far.

jab1
Legend

As I suspect - wait for Monday to be told the Community is closed.

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14

@jab1 wrote:

wait for Monday to be told the Community is closed.

If that was the case it would be easier to erase all the forums with one press of the delete key.

A possibility is that the forums are being trimmed ready to amalgamate into another system................

jab1
Legend

Then why the total silence from such as NickBS - or  even the SU's/mods. Presumably they are kept in the loop, even though the rest of us are treated like mushrooms?Huh

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14

@jab1 The closure of the Community may only be part of the actions to come.......

jab1
Legend

It wouldn't surprise me - the dead hand/antique business (mal)practices of GPO Telephones - sorry - BT are very well known.

John
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

@jab1 wrote:

Then why the total silence from such as NickBS - or  even the SU'/mods. Presumably they are keopt in the loop, even though the rest of us are treated like mushrooms?Huh

Well actually Townman (SU) did post here (#51 on this thread) to say he'd asked:

@Townman wrote:

I have asked if there is house keeping activity in progress.

We've heard nothing back.  🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄   But it's the weekend, and probably @NickBS like most people has lots else going on.

*yes* it's worrying.  But for now we don't know any more than you do.

Logically it has to be something like scheduled maintenance (can't imagine this would be happening 'by accident').  Over 100,000 forum members let alone the thousands of 'guests' shown as online throughout the day.  "search" has been a bit cloggy for a long time, and page-loading speed gets complained about at times.

However it's a huge forum and there's probably many thousands of pages that don't get viewed again *ever*.  So maybe someone decided to cull the threads that haven't been looked at for the last five years, say.  Which would be an inspired way of thinning things down and removing the "dead wood" without causing anyone any major hassles at all.

If so, though, it's a little surprising that there was no advance warning of any kind.

Maybe they thought no-one would notice  Wink

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
jab1
Legend

@Penny I understand what you are saying - up to a point. I am aware @Townman replied to say that he had asked, and I appreciated that, but then it all went very quiet, and I noticed that - no other SU commented, there has been no PN response, and SU's, mods, and PN staff have been noticeably absent recently - yes, I know I'm weird, but I do check the (intentionally?) inaccurate 'users online' stats.

ISTR - but could be wrong, the memory is not quite as good as it was - that when there have been intentions to prune the forums/delete boards etc, there has been a warning/notification. This wholesale, but seemingly random, cull just started around 11AM on Friday with no warning. I assume NickBS is a full-time employee of BT, so would have, IMO, a chance to post something on the subject.

Don't quite agree on the 'scheduled maintenance' comment, sorry - I could understand it if, say, the forum was 'culled' every 2-3 months, which would not be so noticeable, and I wouldn't have had reason to query this recent action.

I appreciate it is quite a big forum, and does need maintenance, but in that case why have boards such as 'News and Announcements'   - which has seen no new posts since 2022, not been trimmed of un-needed 'information', and why have the Trials and Business boards been left untouched - neither of these are even needed any more?

As to your final comment, although I notice the wink, I suspect there is an easy answer to that. This is a BT business, and as I have said, maybe on this topic, but certainly elsewhere, BT management and business practices are firmly rooted in those of GPO Telephones. Despite the name changes over the years, nothing else has changed and their attitude is still 'sod the customer/EU, we'll carry on doing things to suit us'.

BTW - I notice the post count is STILL dropping.

Apologies for the long post.

John
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

@jab1 at this stage there is likely nothing more to add from a SU point of view, in terms of why topics are disappearing, apart from @Townman as asked the question.

Hopefully there will be a definitive response soon.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@ITWorks I appreciate that, but as I said, it is all very strange, although I have my suspicions. The lack of response from PN/BT is in a way, understandable, given their somewhat questionable business practices.

John
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

The thread was only created just after 11am on Friday, let's give a little more time for an official response, given it's the weekend.

I don't think at this stage, providing different theories, on why threads are disappearing, is helpful.

😀

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Apologies - I forget that official responses from anything connected with BT Group PLC take at least a month, by which time they are useless.

Sadly, I am old enough to have dealt with this organisation when it was GPO Telephones, and have noticed they have not changed their behaviour one bit.

John
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 17

@ITWorks wrote:
I don't think at this stage, providing different theories, on why threads are disappearing, is helpful.

But it does help pass the time 😉

If Plusnet didn't want random speculation it could simply put out a one sentence statement. They could for example put something in one of the News & Announcements fora. 

The lack of any announcement shows total disrespect for the members of the community, some of whom spend a lot of their free time providing advice to Plusnet customers thereby relieving pressure on support staff - Plusnet's ratings for customer service is in part due to the community rather than Plusnet staff.