pvmb
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Dissappearing topics?

@RobPN wrote:

@pvmb wrote:

@RobPN wrote:

It's always shown that.

Seemingly you see it when logged in, not otherwise. Never noticed it before.

@pvmb 

That stands to reason - if you're not logged in the forum software doesn't know who you are so it wouldn't know how many posts you haven't read!

Possibly!

I was misled by the 'New' tag, as opposed to an 'Unread' one. Plus, I mostly browse the site without logging on.

pvmb
Pro

...Plus! (@pvmb)

The 'New' posts were hardly New - there were almost as many 'New' posts as posts! 'Posts you have not yet read (since last time)' are usually a small number, not a very large one. 😊

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 14

Shame about the explanation I enjoyed the members theories on events, brightened up a dull weekend.... 

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@pvmb wrote:

The 'New' posts were hardly New - there were almost as many 'New' posts as posts! 'Posts you have not yet read (since last time)' are usually a small number, not a very large one. 😊

@pvmb 

I agree, 'Unread' would probably be better than 'New', as long as the number wasn't wiped simply by visiting, as they're still unread!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 282

@Champnet As I said a little earlier, a simple post in the relevant board - before the fun and games - would have meant I wouldn't have even started the topic, but this simple courtesy seems lacking.

John
pvmb
Pro

...An honest mistake? We live and learn.

Sounds to me that the person concerned is used to sites being maintained routinely and so did not expect such a large scale impact. Or reckon on the gimlet eye of jab1🤣

EddyM

Well this is extremely frustrating - I just tried to do a Google search for information about something (specifically wondering whether it might be possible to adjust my upstream noise margin, as my upload speed is a little low and the current margin seems relatively large). All of the results (for at least the first two pages) are for the Plusnet Community Forum, and most of them sound likely relevant based on the titles, but EVERY single one just goes to the "The content you are looking for has been archived" message, with no way to view them at all!

And I then had to do another search to try to find out what was going on (as that message doesn't really explain it, especially when it's coming up for every single result), which is how I eventually ended up here.

I guess if it is really only older topics that have been "archived", then once these drop off from Google, newer ones might start to show through instead - but what if there just haven't been any recent posts about this topic as the older ones had already answered the question?

NickBS
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 8

I'm picking this up with our SEO manager @EddyM - archived posts should have dropped off search engines within 24 hours. 

But i'm sure there will be more up to date conversations to support your issue when Google has caught up. Sorry about that. 

You could always post a new topic in the meantime.