Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain transfer away from PlusNet

FIXED
gravesfamily
Hooked

Domain transfer away from PlusNet

Hi, I'm trying to move my DNS away from PlusNet to another provider (mainly due to PlusNet not supporting the creation of SPF records). I need to update my IPS tag but I don't see any links to achieve this. Can anyone point me at the correct location to do this?

Thanks in advance

19 REPLIES 19
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: Domain transfer away from PlusNet

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 439

@gravesfamily you've found the way!. One of the Plusnet help team will be along shortly to pick this up.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

glandorescilly
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I am in the same position - I've had my legacy domain name since September 1999 when it came with my Freenetname dial up account. It then passed to Madasafish and is now held by Plusnet.

I am moving house at the end of next week and Plusnet cannot fulfil my present contract (which doesn't expire until next year) so I have been allowed to terminate the contract without penalty so I can move to a new ISP.

I need to move www.glandore.co.uk from Plusnet to Mythic Beasts where I have set up a new account for this purpose.

Please can someone from the Plusnet team help me?

Thank you,

Lois Ann

gravesfamily
Hooked

Hi again, just to bump this topic up the list again. Nobody from PlusNet support has contacted me about this matter yet.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 111

Fix

@gravesfamily I have created a ticket on here

Please let me know when you reply and I will action it for you?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
gravesfamily
Hooked

Hi Will, I have replied to the ticket.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 493

Hi @gravesfamily 

I've responded back to the ticket for you

Fingers crossed it's sorted soon

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
gravesfamily
Hooked

Hi, still getting email rejected from gmail. Here is a sample error message

mx.google.com rejected your message to the following email addresses:

xxxxx xxxxxxxxxx (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com)
Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's email provider rejected it.

mx.google.com gave this error:
This mail has been blocked because the sender is unauthenticated. Gmail requires all senders to authenticate with either SPF or DKIM. Authentication results: DKIM = did not pass SPF [gravesconsulting.co.uk] with ip: [2a01:111:f403:2e1a::800] = did not pass To mitigate this issue, please visit Gmail's authentication guide for instructions on setting up authentication: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication x15-20020a2e9c8f000000b002c17c4b1f8asi8607544lji.305 - gsmtp

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: LO0P123MB6219.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@gravesfamily has your domain transferred ?

If so, have you created an spf record via your new domain control ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gravesfamily
Hooked

No, the domain was not transferred. The ticket was updated to say that PlusNet were able to create an SPF record (and when I look that record has been created). I was hoping that the new SPF record you guys created would work. It may be that the record needs to be updated to reflect that the email is being sent via outlook.com. Full details are in the ticket.

Chris

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 23

@gravesfamily, Whose SMTP server are you using?  The SPF records you have set (as asked for above) are for Plusnet's relay servers, but the IPv6 address in the error message you've posted belongs to Microsoft.  The SPF record needs to contain the addresses that you are sending the emails through.

Edit: I see there's been more posts whilst I was typing this one.  The SPF record needs contain the records for outlook.com if that is who you are sending them through.  This can't be done with your domain hosted by Plusnet.

gravesfamily
Hooked

See my previous post (and the ticket). The domain is hosted as a custom domain on outlook.com (we got in just before they started charging for custom domains). If it's possible to change the SPF record to reflect that the emails will be coming from the outlook.com mail server (but with addresses in my domain) then that would be great.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

was hoping that the new SPF record you guys created would work. It may be that the record needs to be updated to reflect that the email is being sent via outlook.com.

@gravesfamily the spf record that plusnet create will only specify the plusnet servers as authorised senders. It is not possible to create any other spf record

gravesfamily
Hooked

Ah, I see I need to do some more reading about SPF records 😞

Is this possible with SPF records with another DNS provider? Or is it something that SPF cannot do at all? If it's possible with another provider then I will need to proceed with the domain transfer to 123-Reg as per the ticket. If not, then I guess I need to re-think my options (and maybe host everything on outlook.com for an additional fee).

Thanks